Sign in to follow this  

[C++/Windows/VS2k5] Linking a class to a dialog box

This topic is 3780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to create a dialog box for my Windows application in Visual Studio 2005. I am using unmanaged C++, and my target platform is Vista. I've created a dialog resource in my project, and I've also written a class derived from CDialog that I want to use for this resource. However, when I right-click on the dialog box, the "Add Class" item is grayed out. I can cause the dialog box to display in my application without an issue. I just want to use my class to define the behavior of the dialog box. How would I do this?

Quote:
Original post by Rainault
I need to create a dialog box for my Windows application in Visual Studio 2005. I am using unmanaged C++, and my target platform is Vista. I've created a dialog resource in my project, and I've also written a class derived from CDialog that I want to use for this resource. However, when I right-click on the dialog box, the "Add Class" item is grayed out. I can cause the dialog box to display in my application without an issue. I just want to use my class to define the behavior of the dialog box. How would I do this?

Sounds like you're coming from VB or C# [smile]

What you need to do (and its sort of involved if you're rolling your own class) is create a mapping between dialog events and your dialog widgets (and possibly the dialog itself).

Whenever that word "mapping" comes up, it usually means you can use "std::map" to good effect.... mapping a Win32 event code directly to some functor.

The functor would be where you would do your calculations and populate the fields of your dialog box.

Or you can call a list of Observers in the functor ... which Observers are interested in that particular event.

I realize this is all "high-level" language... but conceptually this is how you proceed. There are several ways to implement.

I would use some sort of wrapping classes around each widget (multiple inheritance in C++, interfaces in C#/Java) so that each "Widget" would be considered both a "Widget" and an "Observer". That way, you can register each event code, and when the event is triggered... call "Observer::notify()" on each interested widget, and do whatever you need to in the overridden virtual function "notify()"... or "notify(Event e)" if you prefer.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Chad

I actually come from a predominantly C++ background, though recently I've been doing more ASP.NET/C# development. I haven't done much Windows app development, and the few that I have done used SDKs that wrapped all of the gory details.

But I've taken some ideas from what you said. We'll see where I can go with it. Thanks for the help. :)

This topic is 3780 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.