learning c#

Started by
6 comments, last by yoporahh 16 years, 8 months ago
Yeah I've got a small problem, I'm trying to learn c# but I cant find any guides or references which will suit me ( im a complete noob ). Most of them say they are for beginners but still some of the stuff in them i dont really understand. Are there any guides for c# for beginners with 0 knowledge? Thanks :)
Advertisement
You're in luck
The Matrix guy's right. The workshop is a pretty awesome resource.

If you're looking for books, try to avoid the ones that have "Visual" in them. Chances are they're going to teach you the IDE and Windows Forms. What you need is the core language, though.

One book you should definitely own is The O'Reilly C# Pocket Reference. It will be an invaluable resource in the future.

Also, you may want to check out this.

Good luck!
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Quote:Original post by violentcrayon
If you're looking for books, try to avoid the ones that have "Visual" in them. Chances are they're going to teach you the IDE and Windows Forms. What you need is the core language, though.

This is a game development forum so I can see the merits of this statement, but I also would point out being comfortable with the IDE is important, as is learning the the .NET framework (which winforms/wpf is a part of).

I will say, though that you should NOT get the MCAD/MCSD books as they're complete garbage ($150 wasted here).

All of the resources that I learned on are outdated now but a phenominal intermediate book when you're ready is : CLR VIA C#
i dunno about the mcadetc books but the mcts windows dev one is nice for learnin .net (some parts are poorly written but it's a fast exposure to a big part of the api)
My favorite C# book by far is; "Inside C#" by Tom Archer. A very good book.

If you want to do Windows programming with C# I would suggest; Programming Microsoft Windows with C#" by Charles Petzold.

theTroll
If you're looking for a good C# introductory book, and have some C++ or other similar programming language experience, Charles Petzold also has a free downloadable book on C# called .NET Book Zero. Free is always in my price range. [lol]

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Thanks for all the help :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement