Sign in to follow this  

Present() returning E_FAIL

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have an engine running smooth except in a scene I recently created. The problem appears really randomly, whatever windowed or fullscreen. The trouble is that I have present() returning E_FAIL. The SDK's documentation doesn't give any information on what may be the cause of that. Has anyone ever experienced that? thx.

Enable the DirectX debug runtimes to start getting debug info from DirectX. Once you do that, you'll receive a detailed error message, explaining why it failed, in the Output window (in VS) or the equivalent in another IDE.

Are you handling lost devices?
This might be the cause as the device might be in a lost state and you have to recover the device.

Read up in the SDK documentation on Lost Devices.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Hello,
thanks for answering.

To Sirob:
I wish I could. The crash was occuring until recently in both DX 9 and 8 and since then it has been impossible to make it happen in DX9 and the latest SDK doesn't contain the debug runtime for DX8 (d3d8d.lib). :p

To Armadon:
I handle the device lost case (I wait until D3DERR_DEVICENOTRESET and then I call Reset() with proper parameters). As far as I can remember, the device does not go into D3DERR_DEVICELOST state before the E_FAIL appears.

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.