Sign in to follow this  
Hazardx

Graphics API

Each console has its own API to use, you're basically stuck with what Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo give you. Only on PC do you have a choice. The two main API's used comercially are OpenGL and DirectX, not sure at the moment which is being favoured (we are currently using DirectX for our PC games).

PC games use primarily Direct3D, with OpenGL thrown in occasionally. Console games use whatever is mandated by the console. This is a modified Direct3D in the case of the Xbox and the Xbox 360. The PS2/PS3, Wii, Gamecube, etc all use custom APIs.

Some of the consoles support mainstream APIs -- the Dreamcast could handle Direct3D (6?) and the PS3 can handle a modified OpenGL. However, nobody doing serious work on those consoles uses those APIs, but instead uses the console's native API.

Yeah what everyone else said. I've done both OpenGL and DirectX programming. Personally I like OpenGL, Microsoft screwed me around one time and changed their API between one version of Direct 9 and the other, and didn't even document it ! That's 2 huge no noes: Changing the API between minor revisions, and not documenting changes. OpenAL's API is also tends to be more static, it doesn't change as much as DirectX.

Rather than using a Graphics API you could also consider using something like SDL that gives you graphics, plus sound, plus input, and tends to be easier to use than the raw Graphics API; although the API's give you more power... but that's usually not that important when you are first starting out.

Quote:
Original post by godsenddeath
didn't i hear that PS3 uses openGL ES?
It supports a modified OpenGL|ES calles PSGL. Nobody doing serious PS3 development uses it.