Sign in to follow this  

Occlusion culling paper

This topic is 3771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I wrote my Master's Thesis a while back on the topic of online occlusion culling. The paper is basically a theoretical introduction to the field followed by a comparative study of some recent developments, including the "Coherent Hierarchical Culling"- and "Near Optimal Hierarchical Culling"-algorithms. The source code for the testbench program with which performance comparisons were made includes example implementation of the CHC and NOHC algorithms, something that at least I couldn't find on the internet at the time. Since I had a lot of help from Gamedev.net (I even quote some forum threads), I thought I would give something back - the paper might be interesting for someone doing occlusion culling research. The paper is at: http://www.abo.fi/~jstaffan/occlusion

You're probably referring to Timo Aila who was involved in dPVS, an occlusion culling framework developed a few years ago. He also did a PhD thesis on the same subject.

I never met the guy but one of my supervisors is an old friend of his, the computer graphics circles are small in Finland :-) I don't think occlusion culling is a "Finnish thing", there's a lot of other stuff going on as well.

i too, i skimmed through the paper, + it was easy to understand, very well written

Quote:
You're probably referring to Timo Aila who was involved in dPVS

yeah i think thats the one (he struck me as a smart guy)
http://www.umbra.fi/
why isnt it used more?

This topic is 3771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.