OSDev Tutorial 10

Started by
2 comments, last by CrazyCdn 16 years, 8 months ago
Hello everyone, For those who have been following our OS Development Series, the next tutorial is up! I decided to split this tutorial into two parts to decrease size and so that we can focus on one thing at a time. Tutorial 10: Prepare for the Kernel Part 1 This tutorial covers basic VGA Graphics in 32 bit mode. It covers:
  • Printing characters at any x/y location
  • Displaying strings in protected mode
  • Clearing the screen
  • Basic VGA Theory
  • CRT MicroController - Updating the hardware cursor
  • This tutorial includes a demo that is built on the previous demos. The next tutorial is not going to be an actual 'tutorial' of sorts. Instead, it will be more of an overview of everything we covered so far, along with the new code that creates a very basic FAT12 and Floppy interfaces, and loads the Kernel at 1 MB. The new code in the next tutorial is basically a modified version of the code from the bootloader, which is why I will not be explaining everything in detail again--but rather, reviewing it. For anyone who is interested in this series, but has not started yet, please see the base site for the series. It is located here: OSDev Series Base Site If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions, please let me know[smile] Thanks, ~Mike();
    Advertisement

im suprised this hasnt had more replies (probably because this is a mostly game dev forum) but this tutorials series is awesome!
    didnt know those tutorials, but i started reading them today and im already on tutorial 5.
    im learning a lot, and i really love this kind of low level development. great job, i really hope you continue to write them as ill be a constant reader =)
    yet, another stupid signature..
    Though I'd still prefer this information in the osdev.net wiki, I have to admit that your tutorials are indeed very good!

Great work, keep it up!
    Awesome work, keep up it up!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement