Sign in to follow this  
daftchrome

which DX?

Hi all, I've been using C++ and SDL for a while now and I'm comfortable with both, so I'm thinking of using my next holiday in a few weeks from now to start learning direct X. But which version should I learn? I was going to get a DX9 book but then I saw some new DX10 ones and since I've heard they are pretty different I want to know which way I should go, should I learn 9 then once I'm familiar with it move to 10 or just skip 9 completely? Thanks in advance.

Provided you know the theory behind 3d graphics then learning either is fairly straight forward IMO.

D3D9 is still going strong because D3D10 requires the very latest hardware and software both of which are reletively in infancy.

The thing is that DX9 and DX10 are quite different beasts. The API architecture is not that similar, and many new concepts has been introduced. The best would be (I think) to learn DX9 using books, and then to translate the knowledge you acquired by reading the MSDN articles which are related to DX10.

Most people (read: people you probably want to test your creations) aren't going to be switching to DX10 anytime soon, but people with Vista can still run DX9 apps. And there is a much more well-established support/knowledge community around DX9, which makes it that much more attractive for someone like you or me trying to learn it in our spare time. Besides, there's more than enough in DX9 to keep you busy, while still allowing you to create high-end apps. And from what I understand, translating DX9 to DX10 to take advantage of new features, as Emmanuel mentioned, shouldn't be too hard with help of MSDN articles.

DX9, unless you have a high budget and good plan to profit from DX10 not sooner than in 2-3 years.

DX9 is stable, understood and well supported. DX10 is still in shambles and revisions since it was pushed out too early to meet Vista deadlines.

Unless you were very familiar with exact benefits that DX10 brings you, and would have a very solid reason to *need* it, then stick with DX9.