PC configuration for developing a powerful game engine

Started by
10 comments, last by Shanpav 16 years, 8 months ago
Hello, I want to know What PC configuration I would need for developing a game engine like Unreal Engine 3 in a single PC,Would I require a very expensive CPU,ang GPU.I live in India ,So can anybody tell me weither I would require a Nvidia Geforce card or Quadro for Game developement.And also that can a single person can develope a very powerful game engine that could be used in PS3,XBOX 360 game developement. Please tell me
Advertisement
Quote:And also that can a single person can develope a very powerful game engine that could be used in PS3,XBOX 360 game developement.

No, unless indie/hobbiest devkits become a reality.
Also note that a "very powerful game engine like Unreal 3" typically takes a team of 10-30 engineers at least a year to develop (though more like 2-3 years).

-me
It depends on how fast you want the game/engine to run. You can develop an amazing engine on lower-end pc's but you cannot expect all the bells and whistles. Most game studios (at least the ones I know of) use higher end (Dual Core, 3Gb+ Ram, Geforce 7900 or much better) when doing graphics programming but you can easily go with less. It really depends on the programming team, artists, team experience and vision for the product. Writing a professional game engine is not a 2 month project. Many of the major game engines evolve over 3,4 or even more years and the hardware they start with is generally not what they finish with.

A bit of advice: If you're looking at making a game engine better than the Unreal(3) Engine without real game programming experience...Don't! Start small, get experience and continually grow your project scope. All too often people have high hopes and grandioso ideas, which amount to nothing because they don't have the experience to know where to draw the line. Working your way up (at least from my own personal experience) is much easier, full-filing and gives you a decent portfolio at the end of the day.
Hey
Thanks all ,but what programming languages are been used by EPIC to develope the Engine is it C++,and what API's does they used to interact with the Sony PS3 hardware and XBOX 360.
Thanks I have my PC rig:-Intel Core 2 Duo E6300,2GB DDR2,160 GB Sata HDD.Does they use Nvidia Quadro or Geforce.Please tell me
Xbox 360 runs some form of modified DirectX from what I've been told and the PS3 runs some form of OpenGL. I do same "some form" because the exact details of the devkits are more than likely NDA'd. So to find out you'll have to get one. To get one you'll need a publisher and/or a lot of money.

Best advice: learn and use both. Make an engine that can run either graphical system and you are all set no matter what the platform (Xbox 360, PS3, Windows, OS X, Linux).
Quattro cards are are generally used for things like AutoCAD, where it is really important to have things be as accurate as possible. I would rather see you spend your money on a high end Geforce than a Quattro. A Geforce card is better suited to game development, as it is closer to the type of things that your average client will be using.
Actually the difference between Quadro and Geforce is that they use some functionality that will never be in a game.
The Quadro supports stereoscopic viewing. This may increase the gaming experience, but DirectX 7 didn't seem to have success introducing it, since MS dropped it's support quickly. Also Quadro user's would be the only ones who would get stereoscopic support.
On the other hand the Quadro supports better windowed clipping. GeForce cards suffer big performance hits when multiple 3D window instances are active and start overlapping each other. Games run on a single window.... and in fullscreen, which avoid the problem. This Quadro advantage suits perfectly for intensive use of 3DS Max, Maya, AutoCAD or alike programs.
Also the difference between NVIDIA's low-end vs high-end (i.e. 6200 vs 6800) is not feature support. They will both have Shader Model 3.0 (or the latest 4.0 for 8xxx cards) the difference will be on it's speed.
You may want to check http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

PS: I own a GeForce 6200 256 MB AGP 8x and so far the card's speed was the least of my problems. And also most games run fine (by meaning "most", I mean that the latest games can't be used with at max quality)
As far as game development, CPU starts becoming a bigger issue rather than GPU (when compiling, testing AI, using the debug version)
When debugging and using many advanced tools, RAM usage starts growing exponentially.
CPU is not important for end users, but it is for developers, since we first create, then optimize (also productivity increases if you press F7 on VC++ and the program is instantly built; instead of waiting 1-5 minutes).

Hope it helps
Dark Sylinc
Very very thanks ,
anybody can suggest me a good tools of softwares to start game programming for PC,PS3,360.and also tell me good GPU with brand name so I can Purchase it.
Oh
I forget to ask ,my PC has 17 inch CRT colour monitor Viewsonic E771.I use it normally resoloution of 1024 X 768 ,does for game developement I have to buy a LCD with higher resolution.My monitor will be 4 years old by Nov. 2007.And if I have to change please suggest a good monitor LCD with brand name

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement