Sign in to follow this  
xargon123

Reducing surface points

Hi everyone, I have a Mathematics question. I have a 2D surface that is defined by a set of points. What I want to do is reduce the number of points without introducing inaccuracies in the surface shape. Essentially, I have a set of 2D points and I want to run a Catmull-Rom spline (or any other spline that might be suitable for this purpose) through it so that it touches all these points (and nothing besides them). The problem is essentially reducing the number of control points for the spline. I understand this is a complex problem and I do not expect anyone to hand me the algorithm (though it would be nice!) but does anyone know of a resource that deals with this topic from a mathematical point of view? Thanks for any help you might be able to give me. xarg

Unless the surface was produced with the aid of a Catmull-Rom spline, then cutting out points and modelling it all with splines will inevitably result in inaccuracies within the surface (which you say you don't want).

So you'll have to compromise here...

Yes, well... I have a few constraints on how the surface was created which I can exploit. So, what I have been able to do is generate the surface again with a Catmull Rom spline. However, there is a control point explosion and I have way too many points which makes editing the surface almost impossible.

So, I guess essentially what I am looking for is a way to reduce the number of control points for a Catmull Rom spline or any cardinal spline.

Would you happen to know of a book or some other resource that would discuss this topic?

Thanks,
xarg