• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
worldspawn

A* for isometric map?

This topic is 4057 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to figure out pathfinding and A* which is a huge learning step for me since I'm relatively new to programming. I've been going over what's shown here: http://www.codeproject.com/cs/algorithms/seunghyopback.asp Now while the bulk of it makes sense to me, I'm trying to adapt it to an isometric map which is causing problems. I'm using floats everywhere instead of ints and I can't figure out what needs altering with his code, as well as now instead of just a horizontal and diagonal movement cost, there's now a vertical one as well. Should I even be using this resource or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Advertisement
You should understand the theory behind A* rather than just copying code, as A* is adaptable to almost any map type, once you figure out how to determine legal moves.

adapting A* to a Diamond iso map is also much easier that using it with a Staggered map.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!