Sign in to follow this  

Any reason not to change the stack size?

This topic is 3777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In Visual C++ you can change the stack reserve. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that? I know there is, hence my question. If there was no reason, then I guess people wouldn't use the heap except for when they don't know the size of the allocation. But that can't be the only reason, right?

generally if you're needing to do it then you are "wrongly" allocating big arrays or big objects on the stack when they should be allocated on the heap.

-me

Stack allocations have additional constraints besides merely size considerations.

First, there's the order: if A is allocated after B, then B will be deallocated after A.

Also, if A is allocated inside a function, then it will be deallocated when the execution leaves the function.

Then, as you said, the size of stack-allocated memory must be known at compile-time—only C99 allows variable-size stack arrays.

Quote:
Original post by ToohrVyk
Then, as you said, the size of stack-allocated memory must be known at compile-time—only C99 allows variable-size stack arrays.

I have a multidimensional array[256][256] and it's too large to fit on the stack. The size of the array will not change, and I couldn't grasp how to allocate it on the heap. Edit: I saw a few solutions, but they were all too complicated for me to understand.

Do you think I still should avoid creating it on the stack? I'd have to increase the stack size for that. Feels bad.

int *myArray = new int[256*256]

int get(int x, int y)
{
assert( y*256 + x < 256*256 );
return myArray[ y*256 + x ];
}

and when you're done using it:

delete[] myArray;

-me

Quote:
Original post by SymLinked
Quote:

I have a multidimensional array[256][256] and it's too large to fit on the stack. The size of the array will not change, and I couldn't grasp how to allocate it on the heap. Edit: I saw a few solutions, but they were all too complicated for me to understand.

Do you think I still should avoid creating it on the stack? I'd have to increase the stack size for that. Feels bad.

Doing things the wrong way because you didn't understand the correct way is generally not a good idea. If you're having trouble understanding how to allocate multidimensional arrays you can use a single dimensional array and do some index arithmetic.

obj* array = new obj[256 * 256];
obj[row * 256 + col] instead of obj[row][col]
row∈[0,255], col∈[0,255]

EDIT: bah, too slow =]

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

-me

Thanks Palidine. That's the approach I tried to understand previously. What worries me is how you access the array.

get (256, 256); // Wouldn't that overflow?

((256 * 256) + 256) = 65792
That would be more than the size of 65536.

I realize I'm missing something as many obviously use this method and it's recommended in different FAQ's, but what exactly is it I'm missing? Is my math incorrect up there? :)

Thanks again. (Edit: And thanks Omid!)

Quote:

No, it would fail to compile (the assert would evaluate to false; assuming an assert does what I think it does).

Quote:
Quote:

-me

Thanks Palidine. That's the approach I tried to understand previously. What worries me is how you access the array.

I realize I'm missing something as many obviously use this method and it's recommended in different FAQ's, but what exactly is it I'm missing? Is my math incorrect up there? :)

Thanks again.

Arrays are zero-based in C++, which means that if you allocate n elements you have indices i∈[0,(n-1)], so for n=256 the last index would be 255 and 256 would be out of bounds. That's why Palidine put an assert in the function for run-time bounds checking. The last element is
get(255, 255) which results in index 255*256 + 255 = 65535 = n-1

EDIT: run-time ofcourse, thank you Driv3MeFar [smile]

[Edited by - Omid Ghavami on August 14, 2007 4:55:41 PM]

Quote:
Quote:

-me

Thanks again. (Edit: And thanks Omid!)

0 based index, so 256 is not a valid index [smile].

i think one interesting question keeps open (for me at least):

assume that some programmer - probably me - loves stack based allocation, because it perfectly suits his needs (speed and such), what would be the problem with increasing the stack size to lets say 256 mbyte ?

is there any technical problem associated with that? where would be the difference if i would do the same with the heap and dynamic memory allocation, besides the obvious things like memory management ?

Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Quote:

No, it would fail to compile (the assert would evaluate to false; assuming an assert does what I think it does).

Assertions are triggered at run-time, it would compile fine.

Quote:
Original post by hercis there any technical problem associated with that? where would be the difference if i would do the same with the heap and dynamic memory allocation, besides the obvious things like memory management ?

Yes, there's a reason there's a stack and a heap. It has to do with virtual memory and paging.

Stack is intended to be paged as little as possible. If you define 256Mb stack, you either fall back to usual paging faults when system manages memory, or you define all of it as non-commitable, completely depriving the system of that particular chunk of RAM.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

For example, Java VM partitions heap (stack is irrelevant in that case) into several different blocks, each based on how long an object will live. The longer an object lives, the higher it gets pushed up.

This mimics the cache strategy employed by processors (L1 <- L2 <- RAM). Stack serves the same purpose. Short-lived allocations are performed on stack (function calls, temporaries), the rest goes into heap.

There's a whole lot of science behind stack and heap sizes, sizes of allocations, cache efficiency, ...

When dealing with large continuous data structures, cache coherency will determine performance, not where it's allocated.

Quote:
Quote:

-me

There's another way to go about it (which is interesting because it allows natural usage, while also having decent spatial locality):

size_t const D1 = 256;
size_t const D2 = 256;

int * * array = new int *[D1];
array[0] = new int[D1*D2];

for( int i = 1; i < D1; ++i )
array[i] = &array[0][i * D2];

// ...

// You can therefore use it as normal:
array[3][55] = 324;
std::cout << array[252][75];

// ...

delete [] array[0];
delete [] array;

But then again, if you're going to go through the trouble, you might as well install and use boost::multi_array (or at least wrap Palidine's solution so that you have a subscript operator).

Quote:
Original post by herc
assume that some programmer - probably me - loves stack based allocation, because it perfectly suits his needs (speed and such), what would be the problem with increasing the stack size to lets say 256 mbyte ? is there any technical problem associated with that?

One issue is threads. Most people don't bother to give a stack size to CreateThread so when a thread does spin up it uses whatever the default thread size is for the executable. If the default thread stack size is 256MB it only takes a couple of threads before you are completely out of contiguous address space. Note that even if you don't do threads various system components do. It could be made to work but you'd probably get occasional wierd behaviors in different environments / OS versions.

Of course if your app was native 64-bit 256MB of address space is chicken feed :).

Quote:

alloca works with older version of C.

Quote:
Original post by Driv3MeFar
Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Quote:

Assertions are triggered at run-time, it would compile fine.

Ah, okay. I guess I should do some more reading.

You can do a compile time assert if you so very wish:

#define COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT( a ) { int Temp[ ( a ) ? 1 : 0 ]; }

Although these generally shouldn't be needed, used, or glanced at.

Quote:
Original post by Richy2k
You can do a compile time assert if you so very wish:

#define COMPILE_TIME_ASSERT( a ) { int Temp[ ( a ) ? 1 : 0 ]; }

Although these generally shouldn't be needed, used, or glanced at.
Compile-time asserts are an awesome tool!
I wouldn't do it like that though. In a debug build at least that will actually take up the size of an int. You needn't actually declare an array, simply doing a typedef of an invalid sized array will do. The second problem is that some compilers allow zero lengthed arrays, or at least only give a warning. Better to make the 0 a -1.

This bring you to up to par with the definition of C_ASSERT that already come with MSVC.

If you want to go furthur and get a nicer error message look into boost's STATIC_ASSERT instead.

Quote:
Original post by iMalc
I wouldn't do it like that though. In a debug build at least that will actually take up the size of an int. You needn't actually declare an array, simply doing a typedef of an invalid sized array will do. The second problem is that some compilers allow zero lengthed arrays, or at least only give a warning. Better to make the 0 a -1.

I prefer templates:

template <bool b> struct COMPILE_ASSERT_FAILURE;

template <> struct COMPILE_ASSERT_FAILURE<true> { };

#define COMPILE_ASSERT(name, expr) struct name : public COMPILE_ASSERT_FAILURE<(bool)(expr)> { }

This also dumps the "name" during compile output with the message.

There's no need to use the stack for speed. You can always allocate a large chunk of memory and use it as your own stack for your large arrays, managing the memory yourself. The initial allocation only needs to be done once and after that it can be used as efficiently as the program stack, since it is easy to manage memory that is always allocated and deallocated in last-in-first-out order. Then you just need to make sure the stack you make is big enough for your data...if your function doesn't need to be reentrant, you can make the array global or dynamically allocate enough space for it just once.

Quote:
Original post by jflanglois
There's another way to go about it (which is interesting because it allows natural usage, while also having decent spatial locality):

*snip*

But then again, if you're going to go through the trouble, you might as well install and use boost::multi_array (or at least wrap Palidine's solution so that you have a subscript operator).

Or just use:

int (*a)[256] = new int[256][256];

a[x][y] = 0;

delete [] a;

This topic is 3777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.