3ds model file

Started by
6 comments, last by ahayweh 16 years, 8 months ago
My engine handles .3ds files and I'm looking to import it's effects too. Some things I would like to include when reading the file: Bump mapping, Light mapping, Texture tiling/texture offset, any bone structure. If there are any other effects that 3ds saves, let me know :) Thanks PS: All I need to know is where that data is in the file for me to store.
Eddie RiveronSoftware EngineerCreator of 3D Wrath EngineWebsite soon!
Advertisement
I don't recall there being any skeletal info stored in the file, but there are several chunks dedicated to textures/materials. The animation is stored useing keyframes ( which gave me *quite* a lot of trouble when I wrote my importer ). There are several file-specs floating around on the net ( some more complete/reliable than others ). Heres a start , or here.
ah, nice! thanks!

Is there any other way I could store bone structures? Maybe another file type?
Thats a good question. I know you are setup IK rigs and the like, but for some reason none it goes into the 3ds file. Maybe check the .max format? I am sure that someone has achieved this, but my studies only dealt w/.3ds

good hunting.
yea same here, I could check the .OBJ format; one my friends use that, it's in a book I have too.

One more question, what about bump mapping? I've been learning a lot more with 3ds max and whatnot and i REALLY like the bump mapping now hah is that in the 3ds? i don't think i saw it... but it might be under a different name
The nature of 3ds max's architecture means you cant import a .max file into a game (short of linking every dll from 3dsmax into your game as well)

if you want to do export skeletal information, but dont want to write your own exporter, try finding an exporter for the md4 file format and writing code to import that.

Note that using propietry formats (*.3ds included) in a commercial project without a license is going to land you in legal action though...
interesting... So to even use that file format (3ds), I'd need a license?

Excuse my lack of knowledge about it, but isn't the md4 a quake format? Is there a tutorial or some site that shows the structure in that file?

Well, even if I did have to use a proprietary format for now, I'd probably write my own, I think that would be the better idea anyway, just to keep everything original.
As for the bump maps, they are stored in the material chunks( AxxxH chunks such as, a324H MAT_SXP_BUMP_DATA , a344H MAT_BUMPMASK ). Yeah, like you said, the best bet to avoid copyright infringement issues, would be to convert the native .3ds data to your own format ( which is just as well, cause there is a lot of unnecessary stuff in there ). Now the bones stuff is whole nother thing...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement