Sign in to follow this  
Sfpiano

(Win/C++) Transparent textbox idea?

I'm trying to get a transparent textbox working in windows. My idea was to grab the region of the screen where the text is going and convert it to a bitmap and use that as the background for the textbox. However I'm not sure a) how to grab just a section of the screen and b) if it's going to create too much overhead performing this operation every time the text changes.

If you plan to target Windows 2000 and layer, you can just use SetLayeredWindowAttributes() to set a transparent color key.

Transparency is generally easiest to achieve to ignore or disable the component's WM_ERASEBKGND. Although then you'd need to make sure parent's WM_PAINT triggers as needed, or you end up with artifacts.

This also isn't recommended for existing controls, since you have no guarantee what gets drawn on each pass.

But it's been a while, maybe there's some other way. I have a vague feeling that there's a flag you can set, or even that there is a "transparent" color.

Ok, I disabled the onerasebackground message and put SetLayeredWindowAttributes() in my onpaint function before I do any drawing which got rid of the grey region behind the text. The problem now is anywhere there is text there's still a white box.

I tried:
SetLayeredWindowAttributes(handle(), 0xffffff, 0, LWA_ALPHA);