Sign in to follow this  
NoobProger

Visual C++ 2005 Express, Vs 2005 Standard.

Ok well from what I understand ya must have 2005 standard to be able to create Win32 projects using the M$ Visual C++ series (not Win32 console projects, just Win32 projects.). I myself don't even know the difference in these two projects (read my user name and you'll understand.) The reason this poped up is because a book I'm reading asks that I use "Win32 Project" to avoid any confusion - and I've only got the express edition. Is there another IDE out there that will enable me to make Win32 Projects at no cost? I've been learning C++ for afew months now, using Dev-C++(V. 4.9.9.2) and I wanted to start to get used to 2005 Express... but every time I try to use it I just get put off by it some how... Either way the book asks that I use this IDE, so I'd prefer this... Thanks. Oh yeah I forget to mention before you guys kill me for not trying it in Dev-C++, I can setup Win32 Apps in Dev-C++ without a problem, but I'd like to follow the books pictures of examples on how things work (which will be easy if I use the IDE they ask me to use) because I'm simple minded and slow... THANKS AGAIN GUYS.

Thank you both for the swift reply - got it working lovely. Was kinda kool to be poking my head around some of that stuff... 0.0 I feel like a real hacker now (I'm refering to the old school term that is... I couldn't hack into my own unsecured computer if I wanted to...)

Ok so whats this mean? -.- maybe this is why I've been turned off by Visual 2005, because I'm on vista and I'm not using something right?

"Error 4 fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'IA64' conflicts with target machine type 'X86'"

I get this when trying to build even the most simplest things in Visual.

I think its because you are referencing a 64 bit library but building your application as a 32 bit application.

Not sure. It's been a while since I have done anything with C++. I bet someone else here does though. Either that, or try googling the error message and see what comes up.

My guess is that you downloaded the wrong version of the Platform SDK. Note, that on the download page, there are three versions. You need to install the one that applies to your system (most likely x86)

You probably just have the libraries included in the wrong order. Go to tools->options->projects->VC directories.

Then go to library files. Make sure that any path with an x64 or IA64 comes after the other paths so you won't pull in 64 bit libraries by accident.

When I installed DirectX9 it put the paths in by itself (including the x64 lib, I removed all of them and I'm going to put them back in after work todasy.)

I'll let ya know how things go. God it sucks sometimes starting to learn how to program. Tehehe.