So what's YOUR idea?

Started by
31 comments, last by Humble Hobo 16 years, 8 months ago
@ Deleter: I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by the characters in running animation when they are just being pressed against a wall. That just kills the experience for me.

I had worked out some small details for this a while back:

When the character hits, say, a rock climbing wall, the controls switch from

Left - turn left
Right - turn right
Up - Move foreward
Down - Move backward

to

Left - Climb left
Right - Climb right
Up - Climb up
Down - Climb down

I hope that all of you get to implement these concepts someday, this is all great stuff!

Edit: I've noticed in games where you can climb up/down/left/right, there is this invisible feeling of being 'stuck' to the wall or ladder, even if you know you can jump off. Anyone else get that sometimes?
Advertisement
I've got a fighting game that I'm working on... and I'm gonna put some Hockey in it.

Other then that, my only innovation that I've come up with is a neat and tidy way to append to the game world so that if something needs to be added it's a quick set of XML and a .gif file away. That's where the innovation happens for me... when I start going hardcore on the content.
Except I do have a [slightly old, not 100 page] design doc.

A 4x game with a few nuances, but not entirely dissimilar from Master of Magic and its kin.
A single player RPG (but it could be MMO or whatever...just not how I thought of it) where like - say it takes place in a small city with a population around 100,000 - all the NPCs have lives! You check on one NPC and they are cooking dinner...come back an hour later and they are full from dinner and relaxing or getting ready for the night shift or whatever. Or an NPC is a cop, and you check on him in a couple days and he got killed in action by a crook that actually took the action of killing the cop inside the game logic (meaning you could have known the crook and found out he got locked up for life for killing a cop too).

I always hated how in games like GTA, a car goes off screen and you catch up to it....but it no longer exists. (Granted GTA is not an RPG, but this could work for any kind of game really... it would just be more immersive in an RPG I think). There would of course be some kind of scripting for specific events, but most of the interesting stuff would be completely random.
Just working on my top down shooter. The server and gameplay is mmo, since well I like persistant worlds. Since I don't release my DD to anyone. I'll just say it's a game based on player crafted RTS elements and vehicle that can be customized to the player. It's based around small scale squad combat with "spells" up to large scale outfit battles. The idea is to player defensively and work your way up to the end of the tech tree before end-game then it's a survival mmo against swarms of NPC's and enemies. It gets complicated but that's the gist. When I say large scale I mean large capital ship with a crew of 20 players.

lot of work, but meh.
Quote:EDIT: You also forgot that that would require the graphics card to hold TWICE the textures. For most games, that's just not possible.

Not really. Especially for a game like half life 2. Most of the textures are reused from one map to the next, so you wouldn't really need to hold twice the texture data. And the other thing you could do is make your maps half as big, now its the same amount of data.

As for your other comments, I have to doubt it can't be done. Perhaps in a next gen engine no, but if you scale back a bit I think it could be done. And with graphics reaching their climax here, I think we can start implementing such features at the loss of some graphics quality as this would add a whole lot more to immersion than some better defined pixels here and there. And actually if thats true then how did oblivion do it? That game ran fluidly and smoothly for me from one zone to the next, it would tell me "Loading", but there were never any pauses or stuff I wasn't supposed to see. And my computer isn't some behemoth either. So yes it can be done...
Latest project is to try and generate a city of about 10k people. More of a content generation experiment than a game.

Had a bit of an inspiration that it might be cool to do up some kind of caveman RPG. Was thinking it'd be cool if some basic technologies like clothes or advancements like speach or drawing could somehow be depicted to show your character's wonder or fear of the achievement like it was some kind of dark magic. I don't think that idea's going anywhere though.
These are a few ideas I've got that I want to realise, ignoring those old ideas that have been taken up by other people now [grin]:

• A third-person platforming/freeroaming RPG about a load of cats living on an oil rig. The riggers have a kind of tradition - bring a cat to keep you company - so you play a mere kitten brought aboard by a newly-hired rigger. Restricting the game to the rig makes it a good size for freeroaming - you don't need arbitrary invisible walls at the edges, you've got a 50 foot drop and an ocean [grin] - and a load of pipes and walkways and stuff should be great for a feline platformer. The RPG element is found in interacting with the other cats, forming allegiances and vendettas, using information to manipulate the course of events (a civil-war-slash-coup amongst the cats).

• "Skeet vs. The Beat Doktor" - a third-person physics platformer all about turntablism. As Skeet, protect your world from the imposing industrial harshness of the Beat Doktor and his robot henchmen the Shotgun Mafia through the use of your trusty Cut Cannon; catch things in its mesmerizing beam and scratch the soundtrack to throw them around - the better you scratch, the more effective you are. Smash the Shotgun Mafia and restore the global chill-out!

• A realtime strategy game where colour is a resource and you draw your own units. Build an army of tiny little scribble creatures designed to swarm and overrun the enemy, or funnel all of your ink into one 60-foot stickman colossus who can crush buildings by stepping on them. Colour your units to determine their strengths and weaknesses, using colour that you've sucked out of the landscape itself, so as the war rages on the battlefield gets greyer and greyer.

Also, while the streaming thing is more of a technical issue than a design one, some comments:
Quote:Original post by TheKrust
The other method is semi-streaming the files from the hard disk. This is much smoother, but can take several minutes and the game runs slower than hell. It is also extremley glitch prone. If the timing is not just right, you end up with the player seeing areas of the game that aren't yet loaded. This leads to automation errors... or worse yet... Half Life 2's purple checkered walls.

Ever wonder what those were? XD
Or you could just force the game to wait while the resources finish streaming in. If the player's moving slowly enough, or you kicked in the load early enough, then it's completely seamless. If they're too fast or you're too slow then it degrades to a regular 'Loading...' experience. So it doesn't make the experience any worse, and - if you trigger it correctly - may make it much, much better.

Quote:You also forgot that that would require the graphics card to hold TWICE the textures.
No. The graphics card only needs to hold the textures that it's currently using to render from. Everything else can sit in system memory, and there's quite a lot of that available. It's also something that can be adjusted according to the amount of memory the player has or wants to be used, too.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
  • A realtime strategy game where colour is a resource and you draw your own units. Build an army of tiny little scribble creatures designed to swarm and overrun the enemy, or funnel all of your ink into one 60-foot stickman colossus who can crush buildings by stepping on them. Colour your units to determine their strengths and weaknesses, using colour that you've sucked out of the landscape itself, so as the war rages on the battlefield gets greyer and greyer.

• That sounds like it would be awesome on the DS.

Quote:Original post by superpig
    Everything else can sit in system memory, and there's quite a lot of that available.

At least on PCs there is...[oh]
    Just Cause did the "no loading screens" quite well, besides being a crap game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement