Sign in to follow this  
Nairou

Which DirectX SDK version to use?

Up until now I have been using the April 2006 SDK, as I saw no reason to upgrade (I am doing DX9 development, no DX10). However, this past weekend I formatted my computer (it was well needed) and now I'm faced with the decision to reinstall the same April 2006 SDK or download one of the newer ones. The problem is, I don't know what the pros and cons of doing so would be. I don't know if the DirectX SDK is one of those things that can be upgraded without harm or if things radically change from version to version. The temptation in using a newer version is that newer versions would seemingly have better library optimizations, better dev tools, etc. However, with all of the DX10 focus I don't know if newer SDK versions are losing DX9 tools and features that the older SDK versions include. Any thoughts?

Most changes to the SDK concern D3D10 for the best part indeed, but there's also a new audio lib and the PIX profiler keeps getting improved. You could check the release notes (available seperately with each SDK download, like here) to see if there have been any interesting changes you want to use and/or changes that might break your code.

The chances of breaking changes are pretty low, but to ensure your existing projects keep running, I'd stick with the April 2006 SDK. If you don't need to worry about existing projects and you want to check out the latest cutting edge stuff, the latest SDK might obviously be more appealing.

I wouldn't worry too much about things breaking, especially from a relatively recent SDK. A few weeks ago we updated from December 2006 to June 2007 and didn't experience any problems (the shader compiler didn't support PS 1.x anymore but we weren't using it anyway), so you can imagine just how much confidence we place. However the major benefits of upgrading are improvements and optimizations to the libraries, tools, samples, and documentation. I also noticed a bunch of cool stuff they threw in from GDC '07.

Unless you know there's something you absolutely depend on in April 2006, get the latest version. If you suddenly get a few compile/link errors do your best to fix them, and worse come to worst you go back to the April SDK.