Musical Composition

Started by
14 comments, last by mPietro 16 years, 8 months ago
Hello i am hoping there is and wondering if there is a program that will let me create music as top quality as this or close to. But the thing is i dont really want a program that is really really user friendly, i need a program that will alow me to use my musical knowledge such as notes.. http://rapidshare.com/files/49080569/GWEOTN.mp3
I'm a novice C++ programmer, wanting to succeed and learn. If you ever want to be my friend or just talk add me.MSN IM: hazardx_anime@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Hazardx- it really depends on:

1) How much you're willing to spend.

2) Are you wanting to just use virtual instruments and MIDI files, or record actual audio as well?

If you're just wanting to write music be able to use samples, then something like Finale 2007 or Sibelius is all you'd need. These programs are primarily notation programs and can produce some very nice looking manuscript. They cannot, however, record audio, add effects and mix down audio tracks. (At least not Finale 2006 or the last version of Sibelius I worked with.)

If you'd like to be able to do both, MIDI with VSTi (virtual instrument plugins) and record and edit audio then I'd recommend a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) like Cakewalk Sonar or Logic Pro. I've used both and like things about both of them, but I find Sonar a tad easier to work with. It could be because that is what I started out with.

For good VSTi, I can't recommend East West samples enough! The sound, depth and warmth you can achieve with these packages is second to none and I use them just about everyday. At work we have the complete Vienna package, and I'm not too pleased with it. Some sounds are great, but others take a good deal of programming to get them to sound just as good as EW samples straight out of the box. These samples (both the Vienna and EW) are expensive though, so be willing to fork out some cash if you want these sounds. If you scour the web, you can usually find some good deals.

I hope that helps!

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

There are many good orchestral libraries around. I double Nathan's recommendation for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold Pro in my case).

Best deals for EastWest samples are always on their site: www.soundsonline.com. There are great deals for bundles now.

You may also want to check Miroslav Philharmonic, Garritan Personal Orchestra or Kirk Hunter Symphony Orchestra. The last one is a new library, and I think it's worth to consider.

- Piotr
_________________________www.piotrmusial.comoriginal music for media
I use the Gold Pro as well, and also have the Gold Pro XP, as well as the Symphonic Choirs, Colossus and Stormdrum.

Great stuff!

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Yeah,

I use Gold Bundle, Symphonic Choirs, Stormdrum, Ministry of Rock and Voices of Passion. All from East West - these new libraries are really good, I recommend it. Especially MoR, I understand, VoP may not be what people expected.

Personally, I'm eager to get my hands on Truestrike 2 and Sam Brass, and probably Kirk Hunter's symphonic library. But everything in time. Money don't grow on trees. Unfortunately :)

(but that makes us hard working, so there is a very positive point on this)

Did you know, Platinum Bundle is less than $1000 now? I wish I had some paid work to do right now...

- Piotr
Now don't make me jealous guys xD...

I tried some fiddling with cubase and sonar and VSTi, but I got quite a hard time actually figuring out how Sonar works with VSTs. I'd go for Cubase right now, but y'never know.

And yes, EastWest does sound insanely good. Or rather, every one that uses EastWest seems to have good samples 'cause they sound fck'n awesome. That's a better definition :p. I've never worked with EW myself ;)

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
mPietro- so the M o R package is good? I've always found guitars (both acoustic and electric) so hard to really emulate with a VSTi sampler.

If the guitars sound convincing (and there is enough variety in the samples) then I might consider popping some cash out for that. But I'm just like you- need to wait a bit. :)

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Collecting your software and learning is a long road, and it never ends. You want more and more, you want to be able to do more, sound better, do it faster...

It's insane! I love it! ;)

- Piotr

PS. You've got PM, Nate.
Quote:Original post by mPietro
Collecting your software and learning is a long road, and it never ends. You want more and more, you want to be able to do more, sound better, do it faster...

It's insane! I love it! ;)

The learning part is great. That, and the people made me choose this profession. The collecting software and hardware is the part I don't like. It's just more stuff between me and the music! Not to mention the constant upgrades, insurance, power, and man-hours spent maintaining this stuff.

Give me a pencil and a good ensemble any day, and I'll get you some great music in half the time! [wink]
If your still looking for a DAW I think you should check out Image-Line's FLStudio, it is incredibly feature-rich, easy to use, and is half the price of Sonar and Cubase

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement