Background Music

Started by
10 comments, last by remigius 16 years, 8 months ago
What is the best/fastest way of loading and playing(repeating) a background music in Directx ? I have tryed directsound; Has limitation for filetypes.. (only wav? no mp3) AudioVideoPlayback (mp3, no repeat?) DirectShow (havn't found out how to get this working/ Help?) Or any other suggestions with little example?
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure you need a licence to play mp3 files. But on-topic I think the fastest would be just to load it straight through directSound. As all you need is basic background music. No listeners or anything.
I'm a big fan of the FMOD Ex sound library (assuming you're not developing commercial software).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

@theMadHatter: directsound cant play mp3..

@theMadHatter: Well, my game would be free2play, but mayb later something like fasion item you need to pay for (mmorpg)
I'll give it a try :)
Yes my point was that it can't play mp3 files because you need a licence (http://mp3licensing.com/help/).

Looking through FMOD ex and it does support mp3.
I got the FMOD ex working :-)
Thanks =D
FMOD is indeed wonderful. Oh, and on the mp3thing...you only needa pay (a LOT) if you're gonna do more than 5000 copies.

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
I find Audiere in conjunction with ogg vorbis to be an excellent choice for sound and music playback.
Question here:
Do i need a 'licence' to use my OWN music in MP3 format in my games? O.o;;

If so, I'd rather switch to ogg.. ><
Quote:Original post by djnevs
Question here:
Do i need a 'licence' to use my OWN music in MP3 format in my games? O.o;;

If so, I'd rather switch to ogg.. ><
Yes. The MP3 codec is what you need to pay to use.

Ogg vorbis is easy to use anyway, the API is pretty simple and works nicely with DirectSound.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement