New programmer needs help

Started by
5 comments, last by TheUnbeliever 16 years, 8 months ago
This is going be a pretty long post so bare with me. I want to learn how to design games with the eventual goal of landing a job with a company. First and foremost i'd like to learn a language for instance C++. In the future I would like to make pc and console games, would C++ be the best tool for this. Also I've been told to purchase a book to aid my progress, but I was wondering if someone could direct me to some good tutorials. I checked the ones out on the site but im not sure im looking the correct place. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by courtneyg
This is going be a pretty long post so bare with me.
Hehe...that's the shortest 'pretty long post' I've ever seen :-)

Anyway, I'm not really the person to give advice here, but you might also post your age (if you feel like it) and where you are in school (age isn't reallly that important, but people might have different advice for you depending on whether, say, you're a sophomore in high school and thinking about what to study in college, or a doctoral student in economics looking to get into programming...). It might also be helpful to know what (if any) programming experience you have thus far, what aspects of game development you're most interested in (e.g. design, coding, art), and anything else you think might be relevant.

In other words, your 'pretty long post' could probably be a bit longer! :)
C++ is an extremely convoluted language in just about every aspect imaginable, and as such is a poor choice for beginners (who would do better to focus on the concepts of programming than all of C++'s numerous inane quirks). Typical recommendations for a sane language to start with are Python or C#, both of which are quite capable of making games, and both of which can and are used alongside C++ in various projects (meaning even what language-specific learning you do with either can still help you in the future if you feel you must learn and work with C++).

I usually use google to find guides to get me started on a new language or API. Python's website has an entire section dedicated toward beginners, which is where I'd start.
Thanks for the help, oh by the way im 22, and have just finished a degree in internet & e-business. I was going to take up a game development degree but i didnt know if it would worth it if I could teach myself the basics.Oh im from england so im not sure what a sophmore is but ive always wondered. So C++ isn't the best programme to start off with?
Sophomore means second, usually in reference to a second year at a school/college/university.

C++ isn't the best programming language to begin with. C++ is to program as HTML is to Dreamweaver (or something).

You can certainly teach yourself to program/develop games pretty effectively, although it can be time consuming (both when you're learning and when you're actually developing a project).
[TheUnbeliever]
So what programmes would i need, ive got that microsoft one at home that u get free from that website, i think its visual 2005 or soemthing like. what would require for python and c#.
Quote:Original post by courtneyg
So what programmes would i need, ive got that microsoft one at home that u get free from that website, i think its visual 2005 or soemthing like. what would require for python and c#.

C# you can use Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 — Microsoft also offers 'Express Editions' for each language supported by the main program for free. Visual C# 2005 Express Edition is available from here.

Python I don't know much about, however, I'm afraid.
[TheUnbeliever]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement