[MDX/DX9] Strafe movement not-nice blur

Started by
2 comments, last by TheGilb 16 years, 8 months ago
I'm working on a "2D" platformer with 3d elements. The game scrolls like a platformer from left-right on the "2D" map, and the map is quite detailed. While scrolling, the map blurs in a way which is uncomfortable to my eyes - the blurring seems to be a normal thing though, since I've seen it happen in tons of games. Is there some solution to cure this nasty blurring which would be suitable for a platformer game? I've seen nice shader effects in racing games which stop the scenery from blurring in a nasty way, but would this be suitable for a platformer? I'm using movement interpolation and a fixed timestep already, btw. What I'm really looking for is something which "slows down" the background. Maybe wrapping in shader support which averages frames for the background? Anybody have any experience with this particular problem? Ideas/advice/pointers-to-articles?
Advertisement
Sounds like you're describing the parallax effect.

Having a multi-layered approach where the background moves slower than the foreground is a classic solution to this problem.

I don't think shaders are what you want here; you could implement temporal anti-aliasing, but that's likely to soften and blur the image more!

Also, check you're using VSYNC where possible to avoid any tearing related artifacts.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Thanks for the reply. Parallax will come in handy later in development, right now I'm working on indoor sections where it wouldn't make sense to have the wall move faster than the floor ;)

The player runs quite fast.

Another way to describe my situation is; my brain isn't keeping up with the visual scrolling, and I"m looking for a way to "slow it down" while keeping the same player movement speed. I just haven't found anything yet which would be suitable for a platformer.

VSYNC is enabled, and if my brain could keep up, the scrolling would be smooth and steady - with no tearing or artefacts.
Maybe what's necessary here is a little lateral thinking. Maybe what's wrong is that your brain is too slow while your game is just fast enough. What you need is something to give you that extra edge. Let me recommend Pro Plus which at 6.5p per tablet is a bargain.

Now you can't afford not to speed up your brain!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement