Kinda in a Pickle

Started by
7 comments, last by cemedias 16 years, 8 months ago
Well, I will get right to the point: me and my two friends are all only 16 and wish to begin our game development careers, by programming a few games now. By the by our tentative name is Saiykotix Inc. But anyway, I have a few questions off the back, and take into consideration that we have absolutely no experience in game development: we are just a group of kids who love games and wish to know how to create them. 1)What would you suggest to be a good starting language to learn? I have heard a lot about C and C++, but Im not completely certain that is where we should begin. 2)Should we recruit more members into our team if we plan to tackle something in the future like an MMO? 3)What software would you suggest we purchase if we have a little bit of income from all team members collectively, lets say $10 each a week?
Saiykotix Inc.: the control in chaos.
Advertisement
(1) C# or Python.
(2) Don't bother, a project on that scale is beyond the scope of beginners. Focus on learning to program now -- trying to manage a team isn't going to get you anywhere and will just suck away time from more relevant pursuits.
(3) You don't need to purchase anything; you can make excellent games with free development tools.
Hey, i just joined this site, but first off, i wouldent sugesst C++ or C in that matter to be your first language to learn, trust me you wont have a clue what your doing, i suggest Python its easy to learn an then after that you would have a btter understanding when you try to tackle C or C++, 2: you should recruit more staff members, as this sounds like a big project, I wouldent mind helpen out if ya wanted..

3: 10 a week is a little high, to start, as you have nothing, an no nothing, there for you have nothing to give back to the members, i sugest you make a donations button somewere, an staff pitch in on a monthly basics.. like 30 $ a month, if you got 5-6 staff thats $180 a month, an thats more then enuff to make a gamming site, for sure// complete with a piad forum, an server space/ im an expert when it comes to forums, so hit me up, my email is nete420@gmail.com an my msn is nete420@hotmail.com im online now.. .
I would also suggest C#. But don't bite off more than you can chew. There is nothing more frustrating that aiming too high, and then getting more frustrated than you have to. Focus on the basics of programming first before you work on a team.

GD
Quote:Original post by Saiyko
Well, I will get right to the point: me and my two friends are all only 16 and wish to begin our game development careers, by programming a few games now. By the by our tentative name is Saiykotix Inc. But anyway, I have a few questions off the back, and take into consideration that we have absolutely no experience in game development: we are just a group of kids who love games and wish to know how to create them.

Why do beginning programmers seek to start game companies right off? Would a beginning artist try to open a studio or art gallery before learning to paint?
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Well, I will get right to the point: me and my two friends are all only 16 and wish to begin our game development careers, by programming a few games now. By the by our tentative name is Saiykotix Inc. But anyway, I have a few questions off the back, and take into consideration that we have absolutely no experience in game development: we are just a group of kids who love games and wish to know how to create them.

Why do beginning programmers seek to start game companies right off? Would a beginning artist try to open a studio or art gallery before learning to paint?

I feel the art gallery analogy would be more akin to them wishing to become a publisher straight off.

As for why? It will help fuel their dream by adding an air of legitimacy. It is worth it. There is no better teacher than experience. Regardless the outcome they will come from this enriched. So long as they become aware of what it is they have gained.
Disclaimer: I suck.

Quote:Original post by JamesLogan
2: you should recruit more staff members, as this sounds like a big project, I wouldent mind helpen out if ya wanted..

This is probably bad advice. In fact, a team period is probably a bad idea. Unless, of course, that team is a programmer, artist, and something else like web developer or sound engineer. The reasoning is simple. If you have a team of three inexperienced programmers and you assign them all to the same project, they won't get total hands-on experience since they'll all be working on a different part of the game. Take Pong or Space Invaders as an example. As these will likely be your first graphical games, try to imagine how you can fit three people into it. Sure, one person could do physics, one could do collision detection, and the other could do input, but then that would bar the other from personal experience in each area. Yes, they can look at the code and talk to you about it, but there's nothing like hands-on experience with a particular subject.

As far as money goes, don't worry about it. If you choose to go with C#, then Visual Studio 2005 Express is free. Python compilers and IDEs are also free. Hell, C++ IDEs are free! Basically, all the tools you need are free. Need to make graphics? Get a copy of Paint.NET or The GIMP. Both are free. Need sound? There's plenty of free resources on the web.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Quote:Original post by violentcrayon
Disclaimer: I suck.

Quote:Original post by JamesLogan
2: you should recruit more staff members, as this sounds like a big project, I wouldent mind helpen out if ya wanted..

This is probably bad advice. In fact, a team period is probably a bad idea. Unless, of course, that team is a programmer, artist, and something else like web developer or sound engineer. The reasoning is simple. If you have a team of three inexperienced programmers and you assign them all to the same project, they won't get total hands-on experience since they'll all be working on a different part of the game. Take Pong or Space Invaders as an example. As these will likely be your first graphical games, try to imagine how you can fit three people into it. Sure, one person could do physics, one could do collision detection, and the other could do input, but then that would bar the other from personal experience in each area. Yes, they can look at the code and talk to you about it, but there's nothing like hands-on experience with a particular subject.

As far as money goes, don't worry about it. If you choose to go with C#, then Visual Studio 2005 Express is free. Python compilers and IDEs are also free. Hell, C++ IDEs are free! Basically, all the tools you need are free. Need to make graphics? Get a copy of Paint.NET or The GIMP. Both are free. Need sound? There's plenty of free resources on the web.

Maybe I should have clarified more: me and my colleges are LEARNING how to program. Meaning, we are all trying out game development individually, but hope to make games together once we master a few languages and have some recognition with a few individuals. Nothing special, but maybe something out of flash, or something you would find on miniclip.com. And development teams that know what they are doing, don't fight over "well i always have to do physics!!" or anything like that, because all of them are well rounded enough to pull from each others talents. That is the kind of status I was hoping to achieve before we talked something like an MMORPG. Im not stupid, I know it will be well over a year or two before we can make a successful one, especially with the ideas we have in mind.
Saiykotix Inc.: the control in chaos.
That is the kind of status I was hoping to achieve before we talked something like an MMORPG. Im not stupid, I know it will be well over a year or two before we can make a successful one, especially with the ideas we have in mind.

I hope you don't mean over a year or two before you make a successful MMO LOL. MMOs are probably the most difficult genre to make games for.

But anyway, I think this article might be of some use.

BTW: About the language to start with, I would try a couple different languages, read some tutorials and look into what features that language has, then decide if it suits your needs and you are comfortable with it.

Good luck.
"If I were a philosopher, I might argue that an array name's type is not equivalent to its equivalent. But I'm not a philosopher, so when I suggest something like that, I'm not a philosopher; I'm only being equivalent to a philosopher.""Saturn ascends, choose one or ten. hang on or be humbled again." - Tool

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement