Sign in to follow this  

Halo 3 HUD effect

This topic is 3773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know how they have done the effect where the HUD warps around the screen (http://www.bungie.net/images/Games/Halo3/Screenshots/H3_E307_FP01.jpg)? I've been trying to render a full screen quad with a pixel shader to map the texture like that but so far nothing I've done looks remotely like the screenshot. Any help will be appreciated.

Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
I'm pretty sure they went the way I would: just draw the texture curved like that. Seems like the best approach unless you have experience with that failing in some way.

How do you mean draw it curved? Do you mean draw it onto a sphere? That's what I tried first (took me ages to figure out how to model a sphere) then the texture coordinates were all wrong which I don't really know how to fix.

It'll just be an alpha blended quad with a texture (or, more likely several smaller textures on several quads) on it. I doubt it uses pixel shaders or anything fancy like that.

you could model the HUD as well in a 3D app... that way you get better control and preview on what angles/position you want the fancy stuff to look like

Quote:
Original post by simonloach
Quote:
Original post by NickGravelyn
I'm pretty sure they went the way I would: just draw the texture curved like that. Seems like the best approach unless you have experience with that failing in some way.

How do you mean draw it curved? Do you mean draw it onto a sphere? That's what I tried first (took me ages to figure out how to model a sphere) then the texture coordinates were all wrong which I don't really know how to fix.

Quote:
It'll just be an alpha blended quad with a texture (or, more likely several smaller textures on several quads) on it. I doubt it uses pixel shaders or anything fancy like that.

That's what I meant. Guess I didn't say it right. I meant draw as in Photoshop the texture curved and just stick it onto a quad onto the screen.

i'd expect some sort of render-time effect rather than design-time. Just so they can get the flexibility and move things around without having some complicated offline re-render/re-draw process.

There's probably a good chance they are using a vector based hud. Middleware like scaleform is popular these days for allowing you to do flash interfaces in games. Mapping a gui to a sphere sounds to me like a waste of effort when the hud texture could just be created like that, or a vector based gui system used to get the same smooth effect.

This topic is 3773 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.