The Army of One!

Started by
15 comments, last by Kaze 16 years, 8 months ago
I can't find it, but The Onion had an article some years ago with a headline along the lines of "Secret Base Destroyed! Alien Commanders Regret Scattering Space Marine Armor Upgrades Throughout Complex"
Advertisement
Hmm but isn't the concept of one man army the reason why some games sell so well? I mean, it fulfills the player's fantasies of being godlike and saving the world and such.
Quote:Original post by Zouflain
This stresses the suspension of disbelief just as much as the initial one man army scenario. Essentially, if you ever become a one man army, belief goes out the window. I would much rather play a game where skill was infinitely more important than the player's personal power. Certainly powering up serves as a motivator, one which keeps people playing a game, but power ups should be minor at best - skill should always be the number one requirement for advancement.

I agree. I think the best combination is where combat relies on player skill, and avatar power simply presents useful weapons to be used with that player skill. Gaining power gives the player more tools to use, but that's all.
Zelda games do well in that respect. Especialy the most recent iteration, Twilight Princess, has most "level up" gameplay taking the form of new moves. The HP increase of heart containers increases your longevity, and you get sword upgrades, but even in the end-game Hero of Light configuration, you do a lot of dodging and blocking and sniping to get through. That freaking cave of ordeals has some tough fights in it no matter how badass Link gets.
Take the Gundam shows for example. Why spend fifty trillion dollars on "minion" bots when you can spend all that money on a single bot that can actually do something?

Dude.

I gotta stop ya there. The original Gundam(0079) series was not like that, it actually featured the Gundam realistically getting it's ass kicked pretty much alls the time.

I feel strongly about this.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
The original Gundam(0079) series was not like that, it actually featured the Gundam realistically getting it's ass kicked pretty much alls the time.
I was refering to the newer ones. Yes, you're right, 0080 (I think that was the one), 0081 and the ones in that time-line were much better in that respect, but they were never as popular as the flashy Gundam series like Gundam Wing (which I could never follow because of the One-Man-Beats-All syndrome it seemed to have acquired).
Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
The original Gundam(0079) series was not like that, it actually featured the Gundam realistically getting it's ass kicked pretty much alls the time.
I was refering to the newer ones. Yes, you're right, 0080 (I think that was the one), 0081 and the ones in that time-line were much better in that respect, but they were never as popular as the flashy Gundam series like Gundam Wing (which I could never follow because of the One-Man-Beats-All syndrome it seemed to have acquired).

the universal century gundam series are very popular in asia
half of gundam wings success was just that it was first the first attempt to bring a anime targeted at mature audiences to north american tv

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement