[.net] Using a generic class in a list?

Started by
3 comments, last by vermilion_wizard 16 years, 8 months ago
Ok hopefully sum1 can help me out here, I cant seem to find a way to do this in C#, if possible... I have a some generic class that I need generic, IE: public class Foo<_T>; Now I need to put a bunch of those in a list without knowing what _T is... for instance: List<Foo> newlist = new List<Foo>(); Now you cant do that because it needs a generic... SO: List<Foo<...>> newlist = new List<Foo<...>>(); What do I put in the "..." considering I dont know what might be added there? I have a list of a bunch of different types but thats going to get crazy... Ohh also I need to be able to use functions in each Foo without knowing what the generic is... Any ideas would help me out alot! Thanks much, Brad EDIT: btw I did find that if u create a base class with no generic it will work correctly, but you cant explicitly cast the child class that has a generic. So all functions must be included as virtual or abstract in the base class...
--X
Advertisement
Part of what you're asking you can't really do easily because generics are strongly typed. The compiler can't verify a statement like newlist[3].DoSomething(a); because it won't be able to tell whether the type of object A matches the generic type of the fourth item in the list.

One option would be to Make Foo implement a non-generic interface IBar, and have your list be of List<IBar>. Then when you need to make type specific calls use reflection to inspect the generic arguments of the the members of the list.
Quote:Original post by kanato
Then when you need to make type specific calls use reflection to inspect the generic arguments of the the members of the list.

Heh i was just updating my post as you posted, that was QUICK! anywho, thanks much for the reply, any good places to lookup reflection like this under C#? If not no worries, ill dive deeper into it...

Thanks again
--X
Not sure if this is what you're getting at... but this might be helpful... no?

public class Foo<foo_object>    {        public Foo()        {        }    }    public class MyContainer<object_type>    {        List<Foo<object_type>> newlist = new List<Foo<object_type>>();        public MyContainer()        {        }    }

I think it might be helpful to know exactly what you're trying to do.
Well, I don't know of any good resources aside from the msdn documentation. Here's basically the things I was thinking of:

static void Main(string[] args)        {            List<object> a = new List<object>();            a.Add(new List<Point>());            a.Add(new List<Size>());            DoStuff(a[0]);            DoStuff2(a[1]);            Console.ReadKey(false);        }        private static void DoStuff(object p)        {            if (p is List<Point>)            {                List<Point> myList = (List<Point>)p;                myList.Add(new Point(3, 3));            }            else if (p is List<Size>)            {                List<Size> myList = (List<Size>)p;                myList.Add(new Size(4, 2));            }        }        private static void DoStuff2(object p)        {            Type[] types = p.GetType().GetGenericArguments();            foreach (Type t in types)                Console.WriteLine(t.Name);        }

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement