Which Books?

Started by
1 comment, last by BrianGW 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have £75 to buy 3 game programming books - If I was paying I'd only get 1 at a time but since they're being paid for (by someone else) tomorrow, and tomorrow only I figured it's best to take advantage of the free offer and buy 3. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm interested in most aspects of game programming... I haven't been doing it for all that long though so I'm not entirely sure what bits I want to focus on. At the moment I already own "Game Code Complete (2nd Edition)" and "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach". Some of the ones I've been looking at buying: AI: Programming Game AI by Example AI Game Programming Wisdom 3 Physics: Apress - Physics for Game Programmers Mathematics and Physics for Programmers 3D Math: 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition I just don't know which ones (if any of those) to choose. I have a comfortable knowledge of C++ and basic 3D maths. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement
Well here's my opinion as I have many of the books you listed.

AI:
"Programming Game AI by Example" - Good book with lots of examples to work through. If you want AI, I would start here and stay away from the "AI Game Programming Wisdom x" until you have more experience as they are not really introductory books, but rather collections of articles.

Math:
"3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" - I found it more useful than "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics" as it gives code examples and is more practical where the later book is more... theory and proofs, etc. (although it does also cover a little on physics). I would go with the primer book opposed to the later if you feel you also need a 3D math book. It is more beginner based and easier to follow, but if you have a good understanding of such things already the later may be better as it covers more advanced topics, but VERY FEW code examples.

Physics:
D'oh! Moving soon so my physics books are boxed up.

If you are already comfortable with a language, I would also suggest maybe a book on a particular API or general game programming.

Again this is only my opinoin. Hope it helped.
Okay, I'll definitely get "Programming Game AI by Example" and "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development" -- Any title suggestions for the 3rd book?

Thanks for your great reply, very useful to hear from somebody who has read the book(s).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement