Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveharper101

.MAP FILES

Hi i have exported a map from worldcraft and have examined the contents of the file. It dosen't contain vertacie data but components that makeup convex regions of brushes. I am unable to understand this. What does it mean by describes a covex plain?? isn't it just arbitary vecters where vertices need to be found. Isn't a plane just any flat surface thats described by the cartseian coordinate system I have seen flipcodes documentation on Map files but the code looks complicating. How do you calculate the vertices from the map data. Please could someone give me a basic outline of what to do as i'm new to 3D. THANKS ALOT STEVE Edited by - steveharper101 on April 20, 2001 3:02:40 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Grr, if their is one things that really pisses me off... it''s people that use CAPS in titles.

Ok, WorldCraft = Half Life Editor I think.

Try wotsit.org and have a look for file formats, usually there will be a few different ones. each explains it slightly differently and gives you a better overall idea of what is going on.

Just a tip: If you think the map loading code is complicated... are you sure your ready for 3d?

I take it you don''t know what the map file format is and how it works. I know the other formats. Oh and by the way get use to the title in caps cos it''s gonna stay that way just to piss you off I only left it on by accident.

Hey anonymous

Just a tip: You sure your ready for English?

learn how to spell, and use grammer correctly before you have a go at other people.

Guest Anonymous Poster
There is a couple of ways you can get verticies out of what worldCraft gives you.... read on for more info...

A brush...(or a cube for simplicity sakes) is defined in worldcraft as 6 planes... one corresponding to each face of the cube. Each plane is defined by three points which are on that plane... so first create the planes from the given points

now here''s the two methods of getting your verticies...

1) Find the intersection points of the all of the planes (three at a time) using Cramer''s rule aka solve three linear equations with three unknowns.

2) Create huge polygons corresponding to each plane and cut them up by all the other planes.

What you should be left with is a bunch of face/polygons which define convex polygons

AC