exporting materials with BMPs in 3ds

Started by
3 comments, last by CoolTomK 22 years, 8 months ago
Whenever I try to export a model that contains a material with a bitmap texture into a Microsoft .x file (or any other format) it does not save the BMP texture info, and just shows the color of the material when I render it in my game, or any .x model viewer. But 3DS MAX does render the texture on my object.
Advertisement
I think this is something to do with the way DirectX and the .x format handle textures. Have you posted this on the programmers forum?

Out of curiousity, have you tried the same textures but as .jpg or .tga? (well, to find out if it''s a problem with bmps)

Make sure the model ahas texture co-ordinates. (UV co-ord or texture cooridnates assigned to primative)

Hope this helps.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Theres nothing wrong with my code or the way I am loading files, zonbie, because I can load other .X files into my game with textured materials just fine(using MS''s .X file class). I also checked out the .X file itself and found no refernces to the bitmap texture I am loading. Im Pretty sure that it has to be a setting in 3DS MAX that I haven''t set properly. Oh yeah, Im using 3D Studio MAX r3.0

-thanks in advance
If you are using the DirectX SDK viewer, then the viewer will look in the Direct3D\Media Directory for the bitmaps rather than the directory the .x file is in.

Stuff everything into the Media directory.
I just reinstalled 3ds max with the full install(I had the minumum install originally) and everything works now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement