2D top down racing mechanics

Started by
4 comments, last by Insomnia 23 years ago
Hey all, I've recently decided to take up the challenge of making a semi decent racing game, - top down, 2D styles - but i've come across a few problems thinking about the bet way to go about it. I've done a few crude and crappy ones before (they never got very far), but I want to make the mechanics / physics of this one pretty good. I've searched google till i'm blue in the face () for things about car mechanics, physics, acceleration etc etc, and it seems to return a load of junk. What i'm essentially after, is just some info about car acceleration & the affects of being in a certain gear at a certain time (forces, mechanics etc) - sure I can simulate it, but pretty crudely the way i've been doing it, so I want the 'real' way - and the mechanics of a car steering system (as in how it *really* works, and the best way to simulate it). Info about what causes a car to skid (and the formula(e) behind it) is also appreciated. Remember, this is top down, 2D, so I can probably cut several corners. Damn, I wish i'd paid more attention in physics classes in school . I'm sure others of you have succeeded in achieving something similar to this before, so any advice or tips are an added bonus. Cheers all, Insomnia Edited by - Insomnia on April 20, 2001 7:57:47 PM
Insomnia
Advertisement
I happen to have the very thing you are looking for... I haven''t used it myself, but I''ve had it around...

ftp://temp:temp@habeb.homeip.net/d%20drive%20%20(misc%20stuff)/programming%20stuff/tutorials/phor.pdf

sorry the above link is so crazy...

Afastrunner
AKA Camelboy
AfastrunnerAKA Camelboy
I believe "Need for Speed" would be a good game to purchase for some background.

From what I''ve seen, in the editor, you can basically configure *all* aspects of a car, and see how they affect it. It uses almost real-world physics, so I''m guessing that would be a good base to research off of.

Also, Need for Speed editing sites as well should have similar information.

There''s a lot of physics that goes into a car. Really, I don''t think too many people mind if you just have dummy "Acceleration, top speed, turning, traction, etc." statistics, but if you wanna go through the trouble...

-----------------
The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
-----------------
"Before critisizing somebody, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do critisize them, not only will you be a mile away, but you''ll also have their shoes!"
- The Goblin (madgob@aol.com)
afastrunner:
If I were you, I would remove all the MP3s and warez from your ftp server...
I suppose you know that it´s illegal to spread things like that...
And it might give you a very bad reputation here on gamedev,
if everyone found out that your are hosting a pirate version
of black and white (for instance).

See this as a warning because I could have contacted your ISP (www.sprintlink.net, abuse@sprint.net) instead...

/ Micke
afastrunner: thanks for that file man, I wasn''t expecting anything near that comprehensive , thanks alot . Goblin, i''ll think about the NFS idea, doubt i''ll find it around these days though anyway... and to the AP, cheer up .

Cheers all

Insomnia
Insomnia
Hi, I personally haven''t made a racing game yet, but I would really like to, out of curiosity what style game is this going to be? There are different attributes to the physics parts of different types of racing, for instance if you''re making a game with banked turns and the speed exceeds above 150 m.p.h. you would want centrifugal force to start kicking in a little and make the car drift up the bank a bit. I would be interested to know more about your project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement