RPG Engine

Started by
2 comments, last by lutas 23 years ago
I recently was asked if I could code a small Windows-esque text based rpg (ie. wo fancy gfx but w/ familiar windows buttons etc) I know I posted earlier in this very forum about my BoulderDash clone (its still in the design stage), but I thought this should be a relatively easy program to create as I wouldnt be doing any of the story for the game, rather I''ve just been asked to make the necessary engine and tools. I have already received some suggestions to add as features such as turn based fights, a complex object management system, maps etc I have also been wondering what other features I could possibly add (taking into account that time is a major concern). I was considering about a card based game within the engine or something similar ala Final Fantasy VIII. What type of game would people like? (It could be used simply as a break between the story and/or a method of getting furthur into the game)... Some ideas about features I could implement would be appreciated basically because once I''ve finished the program I doubt I''ll be ever going back to it... Philip Lutas CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
You might want to consider a neat little visual automap, maybe like Beyond Zork. Simply have squares made of upper ASCII art with branches showing the different ways people can go from any given location. It helped BZ out a lot.

Maybe also the ability to customize the UI a bit. Because it hurts by eyes to constantly look at black text on a white background in Word, for example, I always switch to white on blue.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I usually do black-on-gray myself.

One feature you will definitely need to add is a list of previously used commands, much like Doskey. When the user presses UP in the command line, it displays each previously-typed command starting at the most recent. You can buffer as many commands as you like, but I suggest doing at least 50. I''ve accessed my command buffer that far back before while playing in a MUD.

Also, provide some buttons with the most commonly used commands (Get, Drop, Look, etc.), and provide some additional buttons for custom commands. These custom commands should be able to contain more than one word, like a full-fledged command (e.g., Drop All).

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Yes, a simple interpritor(sp?) would be good. For example:

Drop All Arrows
Drop 30 Arrows
Drop All Red Arrows
Sneak Fowards
Smack nes8bit upside da head (nah, just kidding )

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement