Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scrltdrgn

Please don't get mad...

Hello everyone. I''ve just recently started actively looking for a way into Game Development. Now, I know that many of you have probably answered questions like this one time and time again. But for the life of me, I can''t find any other source of information that assumes you know absolutely nothing about it. Anyhoo...I understand what DirectX is and what it is used for, but I keep seeing "API" pop up. I''ve been asked about API''s once before by an interviewer. Lemme tell you, quick wit is nothing compared to real knowledge. It''s just the basics that I''m looking for. Does anyone where a newbie might find answers to his most common questions? (i.e. where does one go from ground ZERO?) Thanks.

Follow what Shotokan said by getting the following book:

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus
by Andre Lamothe

It''s very good for new games programmers, include a lot of stuff like how to program within the windows API to get your game up and running -- what DirectX is and how to work with it. Basic concepts about game programming including the mathematics you need to know. He also has produced a simpler to read and cut down version called:

Windows® Game Programming For Dummies®

Happy reading..

And then when you are done with that and have some basic knowledge get "Game Programming Gems". I just ordered this book and it is great. While most of the topics are advanced, if you want to make professional quality games then this is the book. Good luck.

Abs

Don''t write Quake 4 as your first project.

Try something achievable. i.e. Space Invaders. (not joking)

This game will introduce you to all the basic concepts of (non-networked/3D) gaming. Graphics, Input, Sound, etc....

When you have done that, THEN write Quake 4.

D.V.

I don''t know you, so I''ll assume you know nothing, don''t take offense if I say you should learn something you already know .

Get a C/C++ compiler (there are many free ones, just ask and I''ll list them).

Learn C/C++. Get a book or use cprogramming.com and cplusplus.com to get started, then get a book anyway . Make sure you understand the following thoroughly: Variables, Pointers, "Blocks" of code, Functions, all of the keywords (if, else, while, do, for, struct, void, float, double, int, char, unsigned, static, return, sizeof, et cetera, just add the C++ ones into there if you go with C++ instead of C to begin with) and what they do. Practice a lot, assign yourself goals and tasks to stay motivated .

Learn the Win32 API, winprog.org will get you introduced, then you should get a book for reference at least.

Learn OpenGL/DirectX.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/