Character Animation

Started by
3 comments, last by yckx 16 years, 7 months ago
I'm getting ready to start my next project which I want to be a fairly simple concept (at start). I just want to have a character move around in a 3d world. I can figure out how to do a 3d world pretty easily, but I've never done character animation in 3d before. What is a good file-format to write a reader for? I'll be using openGL to do my rendering. I was probably going to create a character in blender. Any suggestions / resources would be much appreciated!
Advertisement
Blender can export to just about anything.

Personally, I use Collada, but Collada is an interop format primarily (I cook the Collada files to my own custom binary format -- this might be more effort than you are willing to go to, though). There's also things like MD5, .X (which is well-documented and extensible, although not completely painless to import without the aid of the D3DX helpers you don't have in OpenGL), and the like. Both of those support skeletal animation.
X files aren't that difficult, in my opinion. And there's an article here on GameDev.net on how to load and display X files without using DirectX.
No, they're not difficult at all. But they're completely painless if you can use D3DX's helper functions.

The code in that article is obscene, too. It's much nicer to use a tool like ANTLR to generate a parser, but if you're unfamiliar with parser generation and the like, you can still do better than that sample code.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
The code in that article is obscene, too. It's much nicer to use a tool like ANTLR to generate a parser, but if you're unfamiliar with parser generation and the like, you can still do better than that sample code.

I hadn't come across ANTLR before, thanks for the tip.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement