Begginer unsure

Started by
1 comment, last by vincpa 22 years, 12 months ago
Hi, Ive been dying to learn OpenGL but my C++ skills are far from developed, ive done some simple file i/o and console input, nothing spectacular. However my Java skills are more developed and i feel more confident in it, my question is, what would be the best language to learn in order to do OpenGL properly, i have no trouble learning C++ its just that id rather learn one language to the fullest rather than know bits and peices from everywhere, what would be the best if i wish to persue a carrer in OpenGL or become really proficient at it. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
Advertisement
I guess I am a pretty good programmer. I have read many books revolving around different aspects of game programming. What I suggest you do is learn c & or c++ to the fullest extent, by buying a big book on it. Get good at the language and then I would suggest learning how to program a full game in 2D. Buy tricks of the windows game programming guru to learn the different parts of making a fully functional 2d game under Windows. Then buy something like the OpenGL SuperBible if you want to learn how to program using the OpenGL API, or just go to nehe.gamedev.net and go through his tutorials. (But you will learn more by buying a book/s). I just picked up yesterday Beginning Direct3D Game Programming and that book looks quite promising. If you want to learn D3D go through the SDK first and do the tutorials and such, then Buy a book on it if you want to develop your skills in it. Good luck to you, if you need any help my email address is
tryforfulluse@msn.com
bad!
Well, the application of OpenGL depends on the language your using. OpenGL is a graphics library, usable in many different languages. The actual commands of OpenGL won''t change, but the way you implament them might. Over all a little knowledge of different languages isn''t bad. Wether you use one language or another shouldn''t make that much difference should it ? I''m generally new to OpenGl, and to C++ (my language of choice) but this is my understanding of the situation. If I''m wrong, I''d like to know so that I don''t make a fool of myself more than once. Thanks a bundle.

The Kid

I don''''t know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.
I don''t know what the future holds, but I know who holds the future.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement