Linux Game Programming

Started by
8 comments, last by blue_fireball01 22 years, 11 months ago
I just bought Linux Game Programming tonight..... Well I''m impressed on how much it covers(According to the back and the table of contents) and about the usefull content on the CD. Though I don''t like the description of Adventure games. I''ve always been a adventure game nut and also a RPG nut. Tomb Raider is more like a Shoot''em up from what I''ve played and seen and not really a adventure. If Mark really wanted true example of a adventure game there are: The first 2 monkey islands, Full Throttle, Loom, and Redjack. And that''s pretty cool to annoy microsoft . Of course M$ would try to get anyone fired who supported a superior OS, because they know Win2k and all Win versions are the worst pieces of sh*t in creation and the only reason anyone uses them is because Bill Gates is super rich and has a monopoly so users never even get a choice. Bill Gates never got into the industry by making a good product or even writting a decent program, he just bought QDOS from the author and called it MS-DOS and said he wrote it. I feel sorry for anyone foolish enough to by Win2k or WinME(WinME is EXACTLY the same as Win98/95 only they changed icons, made things prettier, hid dos, and included a different program package). BTW, is anyone familiar with a Linux 3D Game Development project to join? ____________________________________________________________ In SoftICE for Windows Type version Word to the wise: Go Linux!
Advertisement
You might want to look into ShipWars 3D, is a sequal
to the original ShipWars (one of the first Linux games
made). It''s one of the few space oriented simulators
that''s more RPG oriented.

The 3D version is starting off soon, we''re in the planning
phase, for now you can take a look at the maturing
2D code (the 3D will be a total re-write).

http://wolfpack.twu.net/ShipWars/XShipWars/

Let us know if yer interested in joining!
(reply here)
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.
glElite The name says it all

"This album was written, recorded and edited at Gröndal, Stockholm in the year of 2000. At this point in time money still ruled the world. Capitalistic thoughts were wide spread. From the sky filled with the fumes of a billionarie''s cigar to the deepest abyss drenched in nuclear waste. A rich kid was a happy kid, oh..dirty, filthy times. Let this be a reminder."
- Fireside, taken from back of the Elite album

#1 - Microsoft has people on staff working on Linux, but nobody knows exactly what...Internet Explorer Port?

#2 - Gates bought the first version of MSDOS, true, but business buy and sell products just like he did, nothing wrong with that. His company DID however, turn that old MSDOS into the Windows 98/ME of today, and went from 0 users to a hundred million users in 15-20 years, which is no small feat.

#3 - Bill Gates IN FACT got into the market by co-writing various BASIC''s along with Paul Allen. Don''t you remember Microsoft Basic? They did BASIC for the Altair, Apple, PC, etc etc

---------------------------------
Of course M$ would try to get anyone fired who supported a superior OS, because they know Win2k and all Win versions are the worst pieces of sh*t in creation and the only reason anyone uses them is because Bill Gates is super rich and has a monopoly so users never even get a choice. Bill Gates never got into the industry by making a good product or even writting a decent program, he just bought QDOS from the author and called it MS-DOS and said he wrote it. I feel sorry for anyone foolish enough to by Win2k or WinME(WinME is EXACTLY the same as Win98/95 only they changed icons, made things prettier, hid dos, and included a different program package).
---------------------------------
I''m as big a Linux advocate as the next guy. I don''t even have a Windows partition on my computer. Still, i think that Windows bashing here is a bad idea two-fold:

First, you''re preaching to the converted, and I hate to read overzealous Linux supporters that are spouting FUD. Come on, if you''re going to deride Microsoft, at least use arguements a little more advanced than, "Windows is a piece of crap." Better yet, don''t preach here, you have nothing to gain.

Second, maybe you should be a little more open. I hate using Windows myself, but i understand that it''s good for some people. Thus I, like many people on these boards, write portable software. I''m not saying that you shouldn''t discuss Linux centric things on this board, but realize that you''re likely to start a flame war that way, and I don''t think too many people want to hear that.

Thanks.

-ben.c
quote:Original post by blue_fireball01

I just bought Linux Game Programming tonight.....
Well I''m impressed on how much it covers(According to the back and the table of contents) and about the usefull content on the CD.

You''re doing my ego no good.

quote:
Though I don''t like the description of Adventure games.
I''ve always been a adventure game nut and also a RPG nut.
Tomb Raider is more like a Shoot''em up from what I''ve played and seen and not really a adventure. If Mark really wanted true example of a adventure game there are: The first 2 monkey islands, Full Throttle, Loom, and Redjack. And that''s pretty cool to annoy microsoft .

Tomb raider is an adventure game, but it''s not the same style as Monket Island etc. A more accurate description of TR would be ''action-adventure'', but if I covered every possible combination of genres, the book would have never been finished...

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

I''m really offended that people refer to Tomb Raider as a Adventure game, using that as a example of the genre is a insult to the genre. I don''t think it can really be called a adventure... The Action-Adventure: Redguard is about as close to action as you can get and still stay in Adventure.

Also know people with a MUCH MUCH larger ego(Larger than the Galaxy).
I also have just picked up "Linux Game Programming" and I am very excited at the possibilties. I have always been a fan of Linux, and the entire Open Source world. Now that I have a beginning guide to the SDL library and X11 programming, I can now see what I used to only be able to do effectively on Windows. Thanks for taking the time to write this!

I am a HUGE fan of Andre LaMothe''s work and with you ( Godfree^ ) as the author and Andre as the editor, I know it will very informative. I look forward to the rest of the series.

-----------------------------
kevin@mayday-anime.com
http://dainteractive.mayday-anime.com
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com
I for one read a "pre-edited" version, and I was blown away. The version I read covered SDL in great detail, with great examples. Because of that, I was able to get started writing my own games on linux. Plus, the author really pushes the cross-platform technologies like SDL and OpenAL. Now the I see the book is released, I need to go pick it up!

Check it out fellas, it IS worth it,

--Michael
Keep an eye out for my AI book coming out later this year...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement