Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blahpers

DirectX 8 on a DirectX 7 video card

Okey-dokey, here we go. . . . Let''s say I build a brand-spanking new system and I put a Hercules 3D Prophet II Ultra in it. This is a GeForce2 Ultra-based card, and the GeForce2 Ultra has hardware support for DirectX 7. Great. Now, the question: If I put the DirectX 8 SDK on my system and start coding, will any of my graphics be hardware accelerated? For example, if I write a graphics demo that includes the DX8 libraries but only uses features that were present in DX7, will I still be accelerated, just as if I had DX7 on my system? Or will the whole thing be shot down to software? I just want to know if I should bother downloading the DX8 SDK on my new system (or DX8 at all, for that matter). --- blahpers

Yes, DirectX8 will be accelerated in hardware just like DirectX7. The only things that wouldn''t be accelerated in hardware would be things that your video card doesn''t support, because they are features that are newer than the video card (that''s a faulty description, but you get the idea).

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/

The only DX8 features this card can''t do is Pixel shading and environmental bump mapping, and maybe a few other little things. Certainly all the major functionality of DX8 is still hardware accelerated on a GF2.

I have a GeForce 2 and it''s an excellent card for developing DX8 apps/games with. Of course if you''re stinking rich, just get a GeForce 3, and then you''ll get the best DX8 support available.

Also, my DX8 programs still run, hardware accelerated on a Voodoo 2, with drivers that don''t even support DX7

schweeet.

Thanks.

(GeForce3? Geez... well, it IS only another $50 retail.... but I can get the GF2U retail box about $80 cheaper than retail, while GF3 price is pretty much set.... math...stuff..oh, my head...)

*sinks into monetary oblivion*