Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pathfinding

This topic is 6112 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve just registered so Hello to everyone. Recently I started making a game of a top-down tile map, with walls an enemy (represented by a colored circle) and me (represented by a different coloured circle). Simple I know, but as its only like my 4th game (others including simple stuff like pong). Its only a start and once its working i was going to add stuff like team players, proper graphics (ie more complex than circlesx and squares) etc. But the biggest problem is how i can get my computer opponant to move. I thought about random movement in the general direction of the player, but i dont think that quite cuts it as far as artificial "Intelligence" goes. So, i was thinking of using something like a* to find a path through the map, around the walls and stuff, to a point where it can shoot the player. So, i started looking at tutorials on a*. Man i was well out of my league. They all were talking about nodes, heuristics, open and closed lists etc and i had no idea what to do. Ive spent ages studying these tutorials and can gather a basic understanding of what they mean, abut absolutely no idea how to write it. Any help??? pleeese???

quote:
Original post by Grat

So, i started looking at tutorials on a*. Man i was well out of my league. They all were talking about nodes, heuristics, open and closed lists etc and i had no idea what to do. Ive spent ages studying these tutorials and can gather a basic understanding of what they mean, abut absolutely no idea how to write it. Any help??? pleeese???

There are links to sample A* source code (C++ and Java, IIRC) at htttp://www.gameai.com.

Eric

There are many diffrent ways to consider when considering the pathfinding for AI enemys.

here are some links I have that I pulled form my bookmark archive *grins* and my archive is getting bigger!

http://hjem.sol.no/johncl/shorpath.htm a great place that takes up diffrent good and badsides of dirrfrent AI teqniques to move

http://tksun.aiit.or.kr/~jgkim/main.html is also a good site for it. well thoose are the one I can find with info on them and I can adives to visit www.gameai.com and www.generation5.org for generall info and links.

Greetings Illgar