Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

freshya

Speed issues with Textures (D3D7)

I was just wondering if anyone has had these same speed hits, and if they are normal or not. What I am trying to do, is use a simple D3D quad to draw some text to and then blit it semitransparently to give an antialiased look to the text. My problem is that when I use the standard GDI text functions, it''s really slow. Now before you tell me that GDI is too slow for games, let me tell you that I''ve been using it on all my standard DDraw surfaces (i''m using DX7 btw) without any performance hit. Is there something about removing the surface from the gfx card''s texture management or something? And if so, can I work around it? The only thing that makes me wonder is that I have one instance of this "method" that works flawlessly, (i draw my HUD text using this method WITHOUT slowdown), but whenever I try to replicate this method elsewhere, it slows down beyond belief. And all I''m doing is filling the surface and drawing some text! Of course this isn''t 100% neccesary but I thought it would be a nice touch =) If anyone can help me or at least confirm my fears, I would be most grateful. Thanks,