• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mntlinstituteflr

Help Wanted posts

This topic is 4328 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Maybe we could categories them, like have different sections within the section, so that people could stay away from what they don't want to do.
These would include maybe -

RPG
MMORPG
RTS
FPS
SPORT
ARCADE
UTLITIY
OTHER

And then another one if you are offering your services.

Would that work or not? Just spit balling.

Advertisement
If we're going to sort and filter HW projects like that at all, then it would probably be more efficient in the long run just to move to a fully specialized system anyway.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
Not every post in Help Wanted from a new account is a newbie MMORPG project. We have had people from existing, live, ambitious but doable projects come and solicit help on their first day. Some of these people have stayed and been productive members of the community, which probably wouldn't have happened if we did that kind of filtering.

That's very true SiCrane. I myself will admit seeing a few newcommers with good ideas and good pre-existing projects. But the number of those is far outweighed by the bad projects. I do like what Punk Designer is saying. Maybe sorting these posts into smaller groups. Maybe not as in-depth as he is saying, but atleast sorting them in some way can help people. Maybe doing something to make sure that people atleast follow the template would be nice. I'm rather eager to hear what Kazgoroth has to say about all of this. It's not his fault at all, and is it by no means any bad moderating, but I just want to hear what he thinks about his own forum. If he disagrees with me, I'll shut up, but I kinda just want to hear what he has to say.

Maybe putting a mark beside the threads that have new members posting in them. I don't know, just like Punk Designer is saying, I too am "just spit balling."

And what about adding some extra info to the mandatory template. I mean, putting in the beggining the type of game that it's intended to be made.

Like:

Team name:

Project name:

---Project genre: RTS - MMO - RPG - FPS...

Brief description:

Target aim:

[...]

or something like that... so anyone can look at the beggining of the post if he is interested or not

My first post here was as an MMO newbie, although looking back at it I think I was pretty reasonable compared to many of the others that crop up. The project collapsed without a great deal of progress (we did get a character running around a map) but was an excellent learning experience. Anyways...

I don't really like the idea of enforcing arbitrary rules (minimum postcount/rating/whatever) on who gets access to the HW forum, as has been said, sometimes there are excellent projects posted as a particular user's first post here.

I was at one point going to experiment with moderating all the posts prior to display in the forum (like with the news system, posts would have to be approved), but at the time there turned out to be soem flaws in the forum software that prevented me from doing so.

Longer term Help Wanted would definitely be better replaced with some form of classifieds system, but in the meantime the development team have plenty of other priorities, so we'll have to make use of the forum as best as possible.

I would like to say (as I have many times before) that I think things may be somewhat improved if more people simply ignored the worst offending threads rather than responding with mountains of advice and often insults and keeping the thread bumped in the process.

Quote:
Original post by Kazgoroth
I was at one point going to experiment with moderating all the posts prior to display in the forum (like with the news system, posts would have to be approved), but at the time there turned out to be soem flaws in the forum software that prevented me from doing so.
Richard - I don't suppose these flaws may have been sorted out in the meantime, I seem to remember there being some issues looked at when the NeHe news switched over to a forum-based system?

I think they may have been. Could you drop me an email with what you remember those flaws to be, and I'll look into it for you?

I am probably not the first to ask this, but wouldn't it be possible to specialize the "New Thread" form for Help Wanted posts so that it would have extra fields for the required template? No more "please use the template" replies.

If filling out the template is a mandatory part for using the forum (like registering to be able to post in the Lounge or to rate people) then IMHO it should be handled by the software.

How about...

If a thread title intrigues you, open then thread. If it is not something that you are interested in, hit the "BACK" button on your browser toolbar (NOT the "Post Reply" button on the forum page)!

Why does it bother you so much that people are jaded?

There are many people out there that are not going to listen to advice no matter how many people tell them.

They are only going to learn by attempting and failing. The most important part of the process is that they learn it themselves. They will now have more understanding of what they are really getting themselves into and how much time and effort will be required.

They don't have to take your word for it and you don't have to give them your word.

They are also most likely to acquire the assistance of other "n00bs" who are also jaded. But you know what, I am sure they will have fun together and LEARN ALOT. So let's let them and not ruin their chances of meeting others at the same skill level who enjoy the same things and who may get some progression completed and skills gained.

Quote:
Original post by mntlinstituteflr

I (like dozens others)

What is that about 0.01% of the membership?

I completely agree,

it bugs me to apply for a project that 'seems' interesting then being told they dont have a design document, and they only start planning the project WHEN they have a team, WTF?

instead of posting after a certain amount of time, you can only post a help wanted IF you have some screen shots of work and NOT of a spinning cube or whatever lol actual screen shots of game play. There is no chance they will get me to work hard on a project that will be discarded 5 minutes later - I just dont have the time for that!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!