Please dont do nasy art!

Started by
6 comments, last by Siegfried 22 years, 12 months ago
One aspect of modern gaming that deeply depresses me is how people misuse their artistic talent. What I mean is that when I play a game I want to have a pleasant experiance, graphically, green fields and sunshine make us feel happy so... why the hell does everyone insist in recreating hell, dungeons, sewers and factories? For example i hated deus ex because i never saw the sun once and this just depressed me, as did quake 3. Now i can hear u all shouting "well if u want green pastures why dont u go to one in RL?" and the answer is that I do but still I dont ever want to have to see a dark dungeon or hell, especially not in a game. So to all the artists out there, gather your grass and sky textures and build those tree models and make me very happy!
The gaming world will never move on because of your obsession with RPGs!!!
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Siegfried

What I mean is that when I play a game I want to have a pleasant experie nce, graphically, green fields and sunshine make us feel happy so...

I don''t know about you, but green fields and the sun don''t make me any happier than I am now.

quote:
For example i hated deus ex because i never saw the sun once and this just depressed me

That''s because it''s just like real life. I haven''t seen the sun, even when I''m outside, for at least 5 months.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

www.directdeveloper.co.uk

Have you ever heard of the term "imagery"? Have you seen movies like Tim Burton''s "Nightmare Before Christmas" or "Batman" (or anything Burton has done, practically), or seen "The Matrix" or "Sleepy Hollow"? The sets of these movies are dark for a reason. "The Crow" is a really great example, because you see daytime only at the end of the movie, after all the bad guys are dealt with.

Same thing goes for games... they seem more dark to instill a particular feeling of fear, sense of ''a dark world'', etc, in the player''s mind.

Have you played "Drakan: Order of the Flame"? This game is amazing for scenery. I recently started playing it again, and the levels really look like paradises in some areas. There are great and varied scenery in games, you just need to look around for them.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

Yes, but he doesn''t want fear installed in his mind, he would like maybe a pleasant game, not some kinda horror show every 2 steps.

-Blackstream

-Blackstream

Will you, won''t you, will you, won''t you, won''t you take my virus?

-The Mad Hacker

Blackstream''s Webpage
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage
I remember that one image at the end of "Doom" (or "Doom II?")...
There u saw the sun for the first time I think, just like in "The crow"

I hear there are some great barbie games out there

no, i guess i just like doing dark stuff every once in a while... you don´t have to look at it if it makes you nauseous...

hey snow, if you liked the doom image you might enjoy this one as well (scroll from left to right )

http://www.geocities.com/hase13/galpics/grodek.jpg
agreed but a good atmosphere will work no matter what it is and to tell you the truth, i dont think any game has done this yet.. well cept konker. bright or dark, the player will be effected equally by them so it doesnt matter too much. there needs to be a contrast though to make the game function better but yes, to a dagree, i agree. personally, i want a deeper although darker plot but this whole hell thing is getting exploited way too much. someone should write there own god damn religion for a game and not care what anyone thinks. this is for all the rpgers out there. DO WHAT YOU WANT. i mean really, what is gonna stop you.
besides, there isnt too many m rated games and these are good games.. well, not valkyrie while but that game was just crap. just like danger girl and yes, i didnt like deus ex.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

What the hell? Life is not green fields and sunny so why make games that way? Games are about stories, and some stories are not always bright and cheery if everything was bright and cheery we would all go insane.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement