Community Design Document

Started by
17 comments, last by thelovegoose 16 years, 7 months ago
I was wondering if anyone else thought it might be a good idea to try a community design document. Anybody would be able to put forth an idea or concept for consideration. We would be working on a single document with all the bells and whistles (as far as we're capable of); plot, characters, lands, items, equiptment, minigames, features, so on and so forth. I have an idea for a widely non-linear, highly customizable single-player RPG that I would like to make into a community design document project. In reality, I think the game would be very difficult to pull off, but I think it would be good practice and experience for anyone who wants to help. Do you guys have any thoughts or ideas?
Advertisement
Well, i love writing and brainstorming... if anyone else wants to, i'll contribute.
I'll happily contribute with critique and suggestions. I recommend a wiki format for the document.
I am programmer language retarded, save a small amount of HTML and CSS. I have no idea how to start or operate a Wiki. (But I would love to learn!)
Absolutely - get it going. Its been tried here, but if inactive for a few days it'll slip down the pages. A wiki would be the best solution.
Isn't this just going to lead to everybody wanting to add a little bit in, leading to something overblown and unworkable?

I would also claim that any detailed design document is worthless without the knowledge of the team you're going to implement it with. Thinking of fun features to add is not all that difficult, but in the real world you have to know what to leave out, and much of it comes down to resources.
Then its worth agreeing a hypothetical set of resources - don't look to me for that!
Please do set it up though.
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Isn't this just going to lead to everybody wanting to add a little bit in, leading to something overblown and unworkable?

I would also claim that any detailed design document is worthless without the knowledge of the team you're going to implement it with. Thinking of fun features to add is not all that difficult, but in the real world you have to know what to leave out, and much of it comes down to resources.

The OP didn't actually say anything about implementing it, so perhaps if it is purely a design exercise workability is irrelevant.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I don't think so. Game design should be about designing games, not about designing something that looks vaguely like a game but which could never be one.
I understand where you're coming from, Kylotan, but I don't think you get it. Do you expect people who want to be involved in game design to just jump into on their own and know what to do?

I've been researching aspects of game design for a while, but I'm rusty. I need practice working on design documents. You know, like people practice before a game, or a band concert, or anything else they're not perfect at yet. Apparently, other people could use more experience, too.

Anyway, I'm looking into the Wiki...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement