Q3 BSP legal issues

Started by
34 comments, last by Mark Tanner 22 years, 11 months ago
I think that a more important question would be about using third party editors like Quark that are based on the compiling tools if wether or not we can use them. The BSP/VIS/LIGHT compilers are used in several different applications from the released source code.
Anarchy Arts LLC Anarchy Arts
4994 S. Lincoln Street
Murray, UT 84107
(801) 269-9465
Advertisement
I think that a more important question would be about using third party editors like Quark that are based on the compiling tools if wether or not we can use them. The BSP/VIS/LIGHT compilers are used in several different applications from the released source code.
Anarchy Arts LLC Anarchy Arts
4994 S. Lincoln Street
Murray, UT 84107
(801) 269-9465
Here was one of my latest questions:

>Perhaps payment could come after we get substantial payments ourselves. (Delayed payment)

Here was his general response:

This is probably the only way it could work apart from just doing the license and making the payment. But you still would be prohibited from any commercial release in the meantime.

My view is that $5,000 is an incidental amount for any serious professional development team. A good workstation would easily cost twice that amount, not to mention software studios like 3DSMax, Maya, Alias, etc.

$5K gets you the ability to use what we have released for commercial purposes. Nothing extra. $10K gets source drops, limited technical support, and the ability to redistribute the editor (with your changes) to your end users for non-commercial purposes.

I think you guys are taking this outa proportion.
Thats all im going to say.
This doesn''t apply to me...(currently)... but here''s my two sense:
Solution: Use Q3rad, if it comes up, state the use of Quark (or whatever editor). You won''t go to hell for this. ; )
It''s not like Q3rad create maps with a signature file so one can tell what editor you used.
Think of it this way, a cop pulls you over asks how many beers you had. What do you say? 12? (the real amount) or 1-2? Do you tell your wife or girlfriend "yes" when she asks if she looks fat? You don''t need to be so open about this stuff is what I am saying.

============
Bedebahbedebahvbedebahbedebah That''''s all folks!
============Bedebahbedebahvbedebahbedebah That''s all folks!
I''m sure if you made a product worth being sold commercialy the publisher will front you 5k for the license...

-----------------------------------------------------------
"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me
-----------------------------------------------------------"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement