2d with dx8

Started by
14 comments, last by StarHawk 22 years, 12 months ago
umm i should probably use dx7 with 2d right? ____________________________ mr. gates, linux just moved up 5%. "no problem, ill just steal their features. it worked with netscape... and we''''re still alive!"
____________________________mr. gates, linux just moved up 5%. "no problem, ill just steal their features. it worked with netscape... and we''re still alive!"
Advertisement
Well , it depends.
If you want to do 2D using 3d hardware acceleration you will be better of with dx8. But if you like all the 2d blitting and stuff then ddraw is the answer and dx8 doesn''t have ddraw so you have to use dx7. Pretty simple
With best regards, Mirek Czerwiñski
Alright i know it is possible to use 3D hardware to do 2D. But how? How can i render a 2D image on the screen using DX8? I know there is a function called CopyRects() but that is just like doing a blit with DirectDraw so i wouldnt call that using 3D hardware.

-Thanks

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

To do 2d in D3D, you draw 2 triangles on the screen so that they make a square. They you use texture mapping to draw a tile or character or whatever onto your square. The advantage to using D3D is that you can have isometric tiles, and D3D supports alpha blending.

- Bong, James Bong
- Bong, James Bong
god , copyrects , no way!
copyrects are evil anyway you simple draw triangles with textures where textures are your images , i will point you to a tutorial , wait a sec...
http://www15.brinkster.com/furby100/index.htm
tutorials/d3d section , found it today , seems to be a nice tutorial , didn''t read it yet thru. Hope it helps
where is 7 available at? as usuall, microsft throws their old stuff in the trash. im on a new comp, so i dont have it

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
nevermind my above question. i found the libraries. but jonatan, ddraw isnt included in dx8. itll never be updated again

directx is backward compatible , but in dx8 docs (from dx8sdk) you won''t find information about dx7/ddraw (which are in dx7sdk) , therefore you need dx7sdk it''s not anymore on m$ site i think , but you can still grab it from some other sites , eventually i can put it onto my ftp (i live in poland therefore connection might be slow) , it''s like 150mb or so
(email me if you want it)
ddraw isn''t in dx8 , that''s right , but as far as i know it''s supposed to appear again in dx9

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement