Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rodneyldixon

Windows Programming using C++ for Beginners

Where can I get a tutorial or e-book for Windows Programming using C++? (on the internet or downloadable) Or, do I first need to learn the basics of C++ and then get the e-book or tutorial? The reason I am asking this is because I have tried looking everywhere on the internet for Windows Programming using C++ for Beginners and haven''t even gotten close. The closest I have gotten is Windows Programming using Visual C++. But I don''t have that anymore. So this is why I am posting this question. So please help, so I cannot stop bugging you guys. Because I know that yall are thinking that I am getting annoying. And if you help me, I will only start posting real questions! Thanks I Appreciate IT!

I think I know what you are talking about. It got me confused when I was starting out in programming. Windows Programming is not a language, but, you can do windows programming in languages like C or C++.

I learned C++ first, and when I need it, I learn little bits of C. But anyway, you will need to KNOW C++ before going to windows programming. Then goto Amazon.com and search for books for windows programming. I recommend you learn C++ really well, however, before venturing into Windows.

-Mark

Mark, we''ve told ROdney this over and over, and he seems intent on suddenly pulling a full featured game out of his arse. He doesn''t want to take small steps, and would rather us give him some easy way to do things that just doesn''t exist.

quote:
Original post by avalanch

I think I know what you are talking about. It got me confused when I was starting out in programming. Windows Programming is not a language, but, you can do windows programming in languages like C or C++.

I learned C++ first, and when I need it, I learn little bits of C. But anyway, you will need to KNOW C++ before going to windows programming. Then goto Amazon.com and search for books for windows programming. I recommend you learn C++ really well, however, before venturing into Windows.

-Mark

Well, you''re the first one that knows what I''m talking about. And the reason I ask about the e-book or tutorial for Windows Programming using C++ for Beginners is after I learn the basics of C++, what is the purpose of the language, how C++ works, how to write code, how to compile, debugg, how to create console apps, etc......, and once I really understand C++, I am going to jump straight into Windows programming using C++. But I can''t do it unless you help me, because you''re the only one that knows what I am talking about. All I want is some tutorials (and if you can,) some e-books about Windows programming using C++ for Beginners. That''s all I ask of you. You''re my only hope, so please help. I would gladly appreciate it! I am depending only on you!

THANKS

LOL! Dude... I would find it very hard to believe if I had a beginning programming problem and only one person on a site like this understood what the problem was!

Now, I know you think that Mark understands your problem because he said he was confused when he started. Well.. THAT'S NOT ONLY HIM!!!

Have you thought, even for a second, that all the other people who have tried to offer you advice were beginners once too? Well, everyone was, and after a lot of *hard work* some people now know what they're talking about. Many of these people who know what they're talking about have posted to you.

Just because people give you answers and not just explain that programming is confusing at first doesn't mean they don't understand. Maybe you should, for once, pay attention to some of their answers.

Oh and one more important point. One of your posts was regarding the confusing-ness of the line numbers in the book.. where you were typing:

1: ...
2: ...
etc...

into your code editor before every line. Well.. READ THE BOOK!!! Reading a programming book DOES NOT MEAN just typing in the code examples. I have the 21 Days book you refer to, and, read this carefully: There Is A Box Directly Above The Hello World Listing That Tells You Not To Type The Line Numbers Into The Code Editor.

Read ALL the text in the book. All of it.

Summary, in case you don't want to read this long post:

1) Listen to people here, they know what they're talking about for the most part. Take their advice.
2) Read the WHOLE DAMN BOOK.

This is the end of my pointless post. I know it will change nothing, rodney, because you seem to be so thick-headed.

PS: Something else I've noticed: you say all these things and treat them like buzzwords: "Windows Programming using C++ for Beginners is after I learn the basics of C++, what is the purpose of the language, how C++ works, how to write code, how to compile, debugg, how to create console apps..."
Maybe you should stop memorizing terms for programming practices and actually start DOING. I mean, that's how I learned...

Edited by - Qoy on April 23, 2001 2:23:35 AM

I have two good suggestions to you, sorry but I''m self taught from books that I''ve bought, so I know nothing about online tutorials for programming. However, pick up a good book similar to say "C++ Black Book" , and read it, never put it down. Use it and use it until you get headaches, and then, after that, read it some more. If it asks you to ask 1 question and get the answer, store it, and then use that variable, then asks 3 or 4 questions and put them all together.

Second, AFTER LEARNING alot of C++, I recommend that you come back and look in the refrence section for good books. Since you''re not learning C, I don''t think? Then I''m not going to reccomend you getting "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" if you are learning C though, then pick up this books after you''ve got a good solid understanding of the language.

Third, don''t think you''re going to pull the next Quake or Final Fantasy out within a year or two, trust me, you won''t. I''ve done some pretty good games, but compared to commercial ones, I''m not where near good. I''m still in the C++ learning process, and I just got finished with a C book.

Good Luck to all the Newbies----

---Mark Drake
--XtremeReality 3D