Help with Recursion

Started by
4 comments, last by kcolc_22 22 years, 12 months ago
I need to implement a recursive function to compute the number of 0 that are next to another 0. A data file is read into an array, and looks something like this: 111111111111111 100110011010001 110010000011101 111011110001101 111000111011111 111001100000111 111111111111111 This is the section where i''m think the recursion need to go? void AreaCal() { if ((Grid[Row][Col] == ''1'') || (Grid[Row][Col] == ''²'')) Area = 0; else { Grid[Row][Col] = ''²''; Area ++; } } This section takes the coordinates entered in by user and check to see if the coordinates contains a 0 or 1. If it contains a 0 then it replace the 0 with ASCII value 178. I have an ideal on how to implement the recursion, just not sure how to code it out to make it work. Any suggestion?
Advertisement
Try something similar to this:
  int AreaCal(int row, int col){  // make sure we are in bounds of array  if(row >= MAX_ROW || row < 0)     return 0;  if(col >= MAX_COL || col < 0)     return 0;  if(grid[row][col] == ''1'' || grid[row][col] == ''2'')     return 0;  // else, we have a ''0''  grid[row][col] = ''2''; // mark off the spot as counted  // return this space (1) plus the number of 0''s in all  // directions  return 1 + AreaCal(row-1, col) + AreaCal(row+1, col) +       AreaCal(row, col-1) + AreaCal(row, col+1);}  

This should hopefully, work, but might have a bug or two. You need to remember with recursion to always have a terminating case (in this situation, it is if you are out of bounds of the array or on a non-''0'' space).

Be sure to let me know what grade I get on this assignment.
that looks too much like a homework problem to me.
b/c i remember doing something similar when i was in my first semester of c++

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
quote:Original post by jaxson

int AreaCal(int row, int col){  // make sure we are in bounds of array  if(row >= MAX_ROW || row < 0)     return 0;  if(col >= MAX_COL || col < 0)     return 0;  if(grid[row][col] == ''1'' || grid[row][col] == ''2'')     return 0;  // else, we have a ''0''  grid[row][col] = ''2''; // mark off the spot as counted  // return this space (1) plus the number of 0''s in all  // directions  return 1 + AreaCal(row-1, col) + AreaCal(row+1, col) +       AreaCal(row, col-1) + AreaCal(row, col+1);}    

This should hopefully, work, but might have a bug or two. You need to remember with recursion to always have a terminating case (in this situation, it is if you are out of bounds of the array or on a non-''0'' space).

Thanks Jaxson for you input, got me through coder''s block. lol

unsigned AreaCal(unsigned X,unsigned Y){  if ((Grid[X][Y] == ''1'') || (Grid[X][Y] == ''²''))    Area = 0;  else  {    Grid[X][Y] = ''²'';    Area ++;    return AreaCal(X-1,Y)+AreaCal(X+1,Y)+	   AreaCal(X,Y-1)+AreaCal(X,Y+1);  }}    

Now I just have to debug one little bug. Thanks for your help
quote:Original post by jaxson

Thanks Jaxson for you input, got me through coder''s block. lol

unsigned AreaCal(unsigned X,unsigned Y){  if ((Grid[X][Y] == ''1'') || (Grid[X][Y] == ''²''))    Area = 0;  else  {    Grid[X][Y] = ''²'';    Area ++;      }  return AreaCal(X-1,Y)+AreaCal(X+1,Y)+	   AreaCal(X,Y-1)+AreaCal(X,Y+1);}    

Now I just have to debug one little bug. Thanks for your help
Sorry for the double posting.. just messed up on writing the first msg.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement