Should I be able to pick up weapons

Started by
10 comments, last by Siegfried 22 years, 11 months ago
Break into the room shooting your crossbow through the page as quickly and quietly as possible. The page was probably nodding off anyway and would be too startled for any alarm before you had the opportunity to shoot him. The knight may still be asleep if you managed stealth, and you could then loot his possessions with the utmost care to wrap each gauntlett in purposeful towels for the mission.

Stride out like you own the place, but at a quick and steady pace ... Go to a tavern and hide out there for a while and get smuggled away by some people who you pay for the fare ...

It should all be possible, and I can''t see there being too much complexity in allowing most of this

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - The future of RPGs Thanks to all the goblins in the GDCorner niche
Advertisement
1.)I definitely like the encumberance rules.

2.)Make thieving dangerous to achieve, because leaving the knight''s room attracts the attention of other thieves...all of the sudden that back alley short cut to your inn becomes super dangerous: drop your loot or try and fend off 3 other thieves who were on there way to rob the knight.

3.)The knight isn''t wearing his armor in town, and he''s highly trained...after all, he is a knight. If you try and sneak up on him when you are inexperienced, he''ll probably turn around and gut you before you realize he knows you''re behind him. If you are mildly experienced, you may be able to flee before his sword starts decorating your intestines. If you are a master thief, you can stick your dagger in him before he knows you''re there. But since he was in town, all you can take are his sword, and maybe a bag of copper (I mean, if you''re sneaking up on him its probably at night when no one is around, so he probably isn;t carrying any more money than necessary for a few tankards at the pub). Eventually, you''re not going to want another sword.

3.2)A knight''s sword should be just that, a sword. Thinking you might score that super sharp sword of bloody death from fifty feet away (that shoots fire and instantly heals all of your wounds!)? A knight doesn''t carry that. A hero does. And a hero that can get a hold of that is even more highly trained than a knight, and probably does wear his armor in town...while looking for thieves and his ever lurking nemesis.

4.)Make the items a character holds directly proportional to his skill/experiance/difficulty to kill; in fact the characters MUCH harder to kill than most of there items are worth. Now your main player doesn''t kill at random for hording purposes, as that is a waste of time and quite possibly his life. He only kills/thieves/etc when there is a suitable reason (which you supply).

--OctDev
The Tyr project is here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement