Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Simon Price

Reasonable amount of textures in D3D8

How many textures are acceptable for me to use all at once? In my current game, I looked at the size of the array of textures and found that there were about 50 loaded at any one time. Supposing they are mainly of size 256 x 256 pixels, 24 bit color, what is the maximum I could use without running out of (fast) memory?

You can compute you memory usage as at least (may be more because of some overhead for each texture): 50 textures times 65536 pixels per texture (256x256), times 3 bytes per pixel (24 bit). This gives you 9830400 bytes, or 9600 kilobytes or 9.375 megabytes. Since most cards have at least 16 MB RAM, you should be fine (more recent cards seem to be shipping with 64MB RAM, now that ram is so cheap). If you want to support older cards with only 8 MB RAM, you can offer 16bit of 8 bit texture options to cut your memory usuage by 33% or 66%.

Thanks I am trying to build a game engine that scales it''s quality to hardware available on the PC it is run on, so this information is very useful.