texture mapping using OpenGL

Started by
12 comments, last by Xtreme 22 years, 12 months ago
hi there... I have a problem where I created a 3d object using glBegin(GL_LINES) and using glVertex3f() to specify the points. So, the 3d wireframe is ok. But when I try to put some texture on it, by using glBindTexture, etc, I still get a wireframe model but the wireframe itself are textured! I don''t want a wireframe anymore, I want a solid model (textured of course). Where am I going wrong? Xtreme.
Yes! There are kangaroos in Australia but I haven't seen them...yet
Advertisement
Try using GL_TRIANGLES to draw your models. GL_LINES, as the name suggests, will only draw lines.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
THANKS! that worked

BUT!

if I don''t texture it, i get multiple lines instead of the required ones. How can I get rid of the extra lines used to make up the mesh?

Could be due to previously using GL_LINES instead of GL_TRIANGLES. You might be trying to draw much more than neccessary but still getting the same effect when textured.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
actually quite the opposite! I can see that more (unnecessary) lines are drawn with GL_TRIANGLES. but its ok with GL_LINES.
But, when I decide to put a texture on it, the one with GL_TRIANGLES comes out solid while the one with GL_LINES is textured in wireframe only.

Also, how can I divide up the textures in the whole 3d wireframe so that I can have I have say one texture on the body, a different one on the arms, etc... (that is, having multiple textures on the one object?) Currently, this texture is mapping to every single part of the object!
currently this is how I implemented it:

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);//glEnable(GL_BLEND);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texId[2]);glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);glTexGenf(GL_S,GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE,GL_SPHERE_MAP);glTexGenf(GL_T,GL_TEXTURE_GEN_MODE,GL_SPHERE_MAP);glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);//draw object using glVertex3f() onlyglEnd();glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);//glDisable(GL_BLEND);  

Now, with this, I get one texture mapped to all of the object, how can I divide it up?
i dont really understand what u want to do
do u want to draw the solid model textured
and then afterwards draw a wireframe version of the model over the top of it so u can see the individual tris of the solid model.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
zeedzeek, i don''t want a wireframe model. (i just did that to see if the lines were drawn right).

I want a solid model but since I made this model from one piece (that is, from glvertex3fs) I now want parts of the object to be texture mapped with not just one, but multiple textures.

Is that possible?
to use multiple textures u have to break your model(mesh) up into multiple meshes cause u cant go
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES)
vertex,vertex,vertex etc
bind another texture
vertex,vertex,vertex etc
bind another texture
vertex,vertex,vertex etc
glEnd( );

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
so in other words, you are saying to attach a separate texture, i must use glBegin() and glEnd() separately? which means I have to break up the object into several objects?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement