Linus Torvalds, Unprofessional?

Started by
43 comments, last by legalize 16 years, 7 months ago
Well for someone that gave the world for free one of the most maintained and used operating systems, i can surely tolerate a bit of jerkiness. And as some in the same thread said, the linux development group is a merithocracy, so a person with little code contribution trying to take big architectural design decisions could be kind of out of place, like entering a new job and trying to give orders to the manager.

I'm interested on discussing with people about C vs. C++. I myself am not a great programmer, but i've always liked C because its flexibility, and the relative ease of writing a C compiler for almost anything that comes out in hardware and has enough processing power. I don't want it to be a nonsense religious discussion, I know most of the games software is done in C++ for a reason, but I still like a lot C and its simplicity.
Advertisement
I don't think Linus Torvalds would ever win a popularity contest, but we are not talking about some random CEO here. Linus shared his kernel for free. He is not competing with Bill Gates. Linux does not have to conquer the world and probably never will. I think for Linus it's enough that it works the way he wants to, and that the key people are satisfied the way things are. At least that is what I gathered from random internet articles and from his book "Just for Fun". A good read by the way.

Of course it's all very inconvenient in the businessworld, and you certainly could describe him as unprofessional, whatever that means.
Quote:Original post by Linus Torvalds
Quote:Original post by Random Dipshit
... Please don't talk about portability, it's BS.

*YOU* are full of bullshit.

C++ is a horrible language. It's made more horrible by the fact that a lot
of substandard programmers use it, to the point where it's much much
easier to generate total and utter crap with it. Quite frankly, even if
the choice of C were to do *nothing* but keep the C++ programmers out,
that in itself would be a huge reason to use C.

He is the man :)
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Linus Torvalds, like me, is at times what I'd refer to as a "Professional Jackass". Simply put, it's a method of communication designed to cut through the bullshit to the crux of the matter. Those I'm interested in communicating with will have thick enough skin to handle it, and it's a way to waste a minimal amount of time, either with needless tangential fluff, or with a person I'm not interested in communicating with in the first place.

I disagree with some of his points on C++, but he does make some valid ones.
Probably the biggest point I disagree on is that C is good enough for the large swaths of code it's used for -- for a system that's supposed to be secure in various ways, I think it fundamental that you be able to couple arrays to their sizes, so one can couple access to it's bounds checks. Ditto for other data structures and their own access-validity checks.

You only need to make a single mistake to have a security hole. C's decoupled access model means that single mistake can be at practically any usage point.

Then again, I'm but a userspace monkey, and I don't suppose to know better than the author of an arguably very successful project how said project would best be run.
Quote:Original post by xhyldazhk
I'm interested on discussing with people about C vs. C++. I myself am not a great programmer, but i've always liked C because its flexibility, and the relative ease of writing a C compiler for almost anything that comes out in hardware and has enough processing power. I don't want it to be a nonsense religious discussion, I know most of the games software is done in C++ for a reason, but I still like a lot C and its simplicity.

Start a thread. Don't name it "C vs C++" - name it something smart, thoughtful and appropriate. Make sure the first post clearly frames the issue, puts forward your initial thoughts and then invites people to comment.

After all, it's called a discussion board.

"Language Impact in System and Applications Programming: Evaluating (and Critiquing) C and C++" seems like a good, if wordy, title - and that's a good thing, as the complexity of the title will likely dissuade underinformed beginners from incorrectly opining.
from what I gatered, the point of C being the best choice because it allows to perform manteniance localy (instead of having to dig into libraries) and being able to low-level code for performance, is irrefutable. And I'm a C++ programmer.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
He seems to think C++ is bad because bad programmers use C++. Well I argue C++ is good because good programmers use C++ too.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
C++ is exceptionally bad for the domain.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
C++ is exceptionally bad for the domain.

Well I know nothing about source control so I wasn't disagreeing.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
He seems to think C++ is bad because bad programmers use C++. Well I argue C++ is good because good programmers use C++ too.

He wasn't really argueing about C++, he was more arguing about the original poster. He agreed in another post that all languages have bad developers.

Quote:
1. Pure C as opposed to C++. No idea why. Please don't talk about portability, it's BS.

But the above line is a statement of a person who didn't even attempt to figure out why C was used, and only made a fanboy style response.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement