Is ID3DXSprite slow?

Started by
12 comments, last by PSioNiC 19 years, 11 months ago
i have heard alot of bad heat on the ID3DXSprite interface. im currently using it in my engine, and it doesn''t seem to be slowing down at all, however, my engine is not very Video card intensive. Does anybody know if this interface is fast enough to be worth using ? Would it be fast enough to use it for a text drawing function ?
"This is stupid. I can't believe this! Ok, this time, there really IS a bug in the compiler."... 20 mins pass ..."I'M AN IDIOT!!!"
Advertisement
sorry I don''t have a concrete answer, but i''m using it as well, and i''m not noticing ANY framespeed drop (drawing 3 large menus in different locations onscreen @ 1600x1200x32).

I don''t really think it would be in directx if they didn''t expect people to have good use for it though.

I too have noticed a lot of flack around here for the D3DX stuff, but I think that may largely be due to the fact that many people feel you have to "write everything yourself" or else whatever you come up with at the end isn''t "worthy" or something. I say use the tools that get the job done.

As far as I have seen, no. But, that is only because I am just starting out with it. I'll let you know when I try to push more sprites to the screen =)

Edited by - grasshopa55 on April 23, 2001 4:10:41 PM
-----------------------------kevin@mayday-anime.comhttp://www.mayday-anime.com
I''ve used D3DXSprite in three games and haven''t had any slowdown with any of them. Maybe because I haven''t tried to push enough sprites? Who knows, but it''s always been very fast for me. There might be a faster way to do everything yourself but D3DXSprite is damn fast.
quote:Original post by PSioNiC
i have heard alot of bad heat on the ID3DXSprite interface. im currently using it in my engine, and it doesn''t seem to be slowing down at all, however, my engine is not very Video card intensive.

Does anybody know if this interface is fast enough to be worth using ?
Would it be fast enough to use it for a text drawing function ?

In the summer update it''s really fast. Strange that you say ''bad heat'', maybe in older articles discussing it from the 8.1 days, but I''ve also seen people here claim that they do 20.000 sprites/frame with 100 fps.
ID3DXFont also uses ID3DXSprite to draw text on screen, you might want to use that.
I''ve been using the ID3DXSprite interface in my DirectX 8.1 game for the heads-up-displays and the front end, and it works great; it''s very nice and fast. Whoever says its slow is either not using it correctly, or they are incorrectly assuming that it''s the ID3DXSprite interface that is causing their bottleneck.

Ryan Buhr
Reactor Interactive, LLC.
rbuhr@reactorinteractive.net

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

Yeah I''m currently making a Red Alert 1 type game and rendering 300 32x32 textures (for the land) and then 100-200 some odd objects (units, buildings, etc). I get 70+ FPS on my mid-range computer so yeah its fast. (And thats with pathfinding, ai, etc)
Before 2003 Summer update Sprites are OK, not too fast, but not terribly slow

After 2003 Summer update, Sprites are very optimized--very fast. You''re not likely to get better performance by making your own optimized textured quad system.

Stick with Sprites, but use the summer update version.
Hooray for 3 year necros...
quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Hooray for 3 year necros...
Hehe.. #1?

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement