Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

help with code from Game Programming Genesis Article

This topic is 6080 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Although I have programmed it basic for a long time,a few weeks ago I decided to learn C. I bought a few books and Borland C++ 5, and am making good progress. Just a few days ago I started to delve into Windows programming. I am using the Game Programming Genesis articles because the books I got did not cover windows.(They are very helpful, by the way) Everything is, or was going fine, until I got to the part in article II that talks about menu resources. I followed the instructions exactly, defining MENU_MAIN as 1 in a header file. I #included the header file in both the program and the resource script. But whenever I try to compile, I get this error message:
Error:Cannot convert 'HMENU__ *' to 'const char *'  
The error occurs at this line of code, which is located in the window class definition.

window1.lpszMenuName = LoadMenu(hinstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE (MAIN_MENU));

Except for the window class name, this code is identical to the code in the example. I have messed around with this for hours, but have not made any progress. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Edited by - Ancalagon the Black on April 23, 2001 11:13:45 AM