Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirectSound for music... now how about SFX?

This topic is 6080 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Chris, have you had plans to finish up the DirectSound libraries to include WAV sound effects? I think thats probably the only thing that is missing, you have music in lots of formats, but games require sound effects and I don''t really know if the current sound effect libraries are up to snuff as with DirectX 8 and whatnot. Fill me in, eh? -Rich

The DSound libraries were used in the character system to play WAV files long before I had any music.

There is also ambient sounds built into LStudio. Look at lstudio\bin\packages\engine\ambsnd.ls.

It shows how you can list your sound effects and they will get loaded with the package. You can make a package with a single .LS file which loads up all your sounds needed for the game.

Also look at \lstudio\terrainengine\src\enginelogic.c. Specifically the AmbientSoundSpawn function which plays a sound effect. You use this same technique to play other sounds in the game.

Chris